Powells Ale Malt - Protein Rest?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stubbie

Reaction score
Anyone used Powells ale malt in recent times?

I'm cracking open a new bag of Powells ale malt tomorrow for an english bitter and a porter. I have used Powells pilsner for a few years and, being under modified, a protein rest definitely improves both efficiency and head retention. When quizzed about a recommended mashing schedule for the ale malt, Grant Powell informed me that the ale malt is pretty well modified (and it looks and tastes it, too), yet he still recommends doing a short protein rest. :huh:

My past attempts to include a protein rest with well modified UK ale malt produced beers with really poor head retention, so there's some apprehension about doing the same with the Powells ale malt. Will probably end up doing a protein rest, anyway, but at 55C and for only 5 minutes before stepping up to saccharification temps.

Anyone have any experience, thoughts or otherwise with Powells ale malt?

Stubbie.

Hey Stubbie,

no direct experience, but before mashout, try a 70c or 72c dextrine rest for 10 minutes, this improves head retention really well, there is a thread here somewhere about it, but I now have one on all my mash schedules, even those with a 10 minute protein rest using well modified British malts.

Can't help with Powell's specifically but my experience may still be of some use.

I do a 55 rest with almost every beer for 5-10 mins and usually head retention is great so that short rest certainly won't stuff you up if the malt IS well modified (I use weyerman's, simpsons and Dingemans mostly).

I also do a 72 degree glyco-protein rest for 10 after amylase rests - also meant to help HR and all things being equal (clean glass etc etc), I notice a difference with most beers since doing this.

Thanks for your feedback fellas.

I like the idea of a 70-72C rest - never thought of that. Actually been flat out today assembling my HERMS controller. Was hoping to run a water-only test and auto-tune this afternoon, but it wasn't to be. Would have been nice to do a maidan HERMS brew tomorrow. Shame because it would made stepping just that bit easier. Next week........

Stubbie

Does anyone know the current prices for Powells Malts? In this case google doesn't know all... And none of the online stores I've looked at stock Powells.

I've read only good things about Powells and I'd love to give their malts a try. I'm guessing the shipping up to Newcastle may be pretty pricy though.

Can't help with Powell's specifically but my experience may still be of some use.

I do a 55 rest with almost every beer for 5-10 mins and usually head retention is great so that short rest certainly won't stuff you up if the malt IS well modified (I use weyerman's, simpsons and Dingemans mostly).

I also do a 72 degree glyco-protein rest for 10 after amylase rests - also meant to help HR and all things being equal (clean glass etc etc), I notice a difference with most beers since doing this.

I'm with manticle on this, I give all my beers a 5min 55c rest (which is closer to 10min by the time I've pumped the 40 odd L to mash in, adjusted the valves to start recirculating, etc and finally set the timer) And most my beers get a 72c rest.

QldKev

$45 per bag for either pils or ale - direct from the Braeside plant in Melb. Pretty good value, I reckon, especially in between grain bulk buys and I like the idea of supporting a family business.

I'm with manticle on this, I give all my beers a 5min 55c rest (which is closer to 10min by the time I've pumped the 40 odd L to mash in, adjusted the valves to start recirculating, etc and finally set the timer) And most my beers get a 72c rest.

QldKev

I will add a +2.

I have never had any issue with head either and starting the mash below 60 really assists getting it hydrated before sacch. I also go to a 72 degree rest, though I do it for the small starch granule reasoning, not that it is necessary, but it is easy enough to give the HERMS a little rest on the way up to 76.

Even with well modified malt I do a 15 min rest at 54 deg C, at this temp it does not impact on head retention with well modified malt, and with Powells malt up to 30 mins at 54 or 55 will be perfect. Just make sure you do a nice long 70 deg C step for at least 60.min. Unless you are doing a single step infusion then I would be aiming for 68 or 69 deg C.

Since adding a 15min 72c rest to all beers, head and retention have been great. Cheers manticle!!

Back