Potential Oxidation Drama's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zyy

Reaction score
I was racking to the secondary today to begin the lagering process. I think I followed good process using a poly tube from the primary fermentor into the secondary - coiled at the bottom of the other fermentor. When I turned on the tap - there was stuff all beer coming out - certainly not enough to fill the tube.

The result? Lots of bubbling and gurgling in the second fermentor.

Then I realised I had left the thingy in that's supposed to help stop the sediment getting out (idiot!!)

It seems I've well and truly given it a good dose of oxygen.

A question for anyone out there with beer that's been oxidised - is it worth persisting with this one or should I just chuck it and start again??

I don't actually understand what you've done, but NEVER throw out a beer!

I've seen TV footage of guys doing all-grain, sparging through muslin bags suspended over buckets, splashing around and having a high old time.

A bit of oxygen at the secondary stage is not ideal, but there's a big difference between "not ideal" and "pour it down the sink"!

Don't chuck it, it will probably be fine. Just drink it before any signs of oxidation show up in the bottle.

When I'm having trouble getting a good flow through the tube, I pinch it down low, let a backflow build up for a few seconds, then release. That's usually enough to get a good flow started.

Kai!!!

We're waiting for you at the Grumpy Oktoberfest, we need a shining wit asap.

Honey Wheat Lager is calling your name.

tdh

Would love to, but I fear I'd better not. Might stop in after work tomorrow to see if you're all still alive

The best thing for getting no bubbles in the secondary fermenter I have found is that you kink the racking tube where it connects to the tap and then turn the tap on and release the kink, it will give a full flow of beer in the tube without any bubbles, it works all the time for me.

only think i've found that works is that exact process! even with a stupid sediment reducer on board!

Thanks guys - another thing to be put into the memory banks and hopefully not removed by the next beer......

muga said:
The best thing for getting no bubbles in the secondary fermenter I have found is that you kink the racking tube where it connects to the tap and then turn the tap on and release the kink, it will give a full flow of beer in the tube without any bubbles, it works all the time for me.
[post="86834"][/post]​

Thats the answer. Allow the beer to flow then stop it by pinching the line with your fingers. Allow it flow again. Its not the sediment reducer that is causing your problems. In actual fact I would throw out the sediment reducer. Just another infection risk. something to clean that doesn't do its job (reduce sediment).
cheers
Darren

Latest posts

Back