Potential Daft Idea - Brewing Eisbock With Dryice...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evildrakey

Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppelbock#Eisbock

I had a weird idea If I started dumping dry ice into a batch of beer, and start scooping off the ice to make an Eisbock would that work?

Or would it strip all the flavour out??? I'm kind of wondering if dry ice would quicken the process?

At the least, it's a fun afternoon drinking beer and getting f*cked up with dry ice...

You might end up with a foamy mess much like your avatar with all that solid CO2

From my childhood memories, dry ice will just float & boil off to great effect, but i don't think it will freeze your beer... Unless you are planning on using in some other way...

cheers ross

From my childhood memories, dry ice will just float & boil off to great effect, but i don't think it will freeze your beer... Unless you are planning on using in some other way...

cheers ross

My plan was to get get the bock as cold as possible - then to add the dry ice a cup at a time to drop the liquid below zero - sounds like a daft idea - maybe I'll try it first on a batch of beer that didn't end up doing so well...

The closer it stays to zero, the more water will freeze without the rest of it freezing.

the boiling effect is called sublimination. the dry ice may carbonate the beer and form some water ice but i doubt the amount you need to make it eisbock. also dangerous to put dry ice into liquid in a sealed container. a dry ice fermenter bomb.

of course only one certain way to find out . . .

the boiling effect is called sublimination. the dry ice may carbonate the beer and form some water ice but i doubt the amount you need to make it eisbock. also dangerous to put dry ice into liquid in a sealed container. a dry ice fermenter bomb.

of course only one certain way to find out . . .

Okay - sounds like it's a daft idea then... Derp :p

like above set ur fridge to zero and it should ice up. i have had occur unintentionally in kegs and fermenters

Latest posts

Back