Potential Bulk Priming Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But Jethro, even if a small amount of oxygen gets to the beer, wont the yeast in suspension use this oxygen up to revitalise itself for the carbonation phase and therefore remove the oxygen before it can stale the beer?????

:chug:

Dear, dear,

I DO NOT oppose bulk priming. :rolleyes:
I have never tried it. :ph34r:
It does not interest me. :angry:
I am sorry I mentioned it. :ph34r:

Linz said:
But Jethro, even if a small amount of oxygen gets to the beer, wont the yeast in suspension use this oxygen up to revitalise itself for the carbonation phase and therefore remove the oxygen before it can stale the beer?????
I'm sure a chemist could explain this far better than me, but sadly the answer is no.

Dissolved oxygen (O2) in the wort is used by yeast in the first phase of primary fermentation to help build up cell count. Introducing oxygen in this way seems to be called aeration. Other gases in the air obviously dissolve into the wort as well.

Oxidation is a chemical bonding of oxygen ions (not the compound O2) to compounds in the wort. As the beer matures and chemical changes take place in the beer these ions are released back into the beer and cause staling.

Oxidation apparently occurs more readily at high temperatures and, so I am told, when there is alcohol in the brew. So splashing the cooled wort before fermentation really kicks in is GOOD. Otherwise it is BAD.

Bibtracker, you're right, it is worth discussing, and don't be deterred by some who get so dinkum over such a little thing. Bulk priming is not a dogma. It's a technique and a very useful one. Why not try it for one batch and see if it works. If your sanitation is up to scratch and you minimise splashing (both risk factors but very easy to control) it is really straightforward, quicker and easier than bottle priming, and most brewers report no problems.
:) and :chug:

Back