Potential Bulk Priming Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Lore says that if they're gonna go, then they will go in a big low pressure system. Makes sense.

Just an update, since I like closure.

Most of them have been flat, but I've had one or two bottles that are real corkers when opened. Good thing is, if I get a fizzy one then I just open a flat one and add a quarter of the fizzy one to it. Instant perfect carbonation.

None have gone boomboom... yet

Kai,
After my first few times of not stirring the solution properly i always stir it around really well now.
When i tried just leaving it with the tube curled around the bottom It never came out even. I dont know how others get this mystical whirlpool naturally that seems to mix it all evenly.
I give it a good vigouros stir and have never had a problem after my first few times. I use Grolsch bottles mainly. 600 ml pet for the guinea pigs that I taste test on.

cheers

well i give mine a gentle stir as u dont want air in your beer also get rid of that sediment reducer is does nothing and slows up racking speed i dont use them anymore

I have been bulk priming now for about 20 batches and have only had one case of a few bottle bombs most likely due to the thin nature of some of the glass bottles that we have at out disposal. I find that when you bulk prime, pour the sugar solution into the scndary first and then rack the beer on top. I have found that even when I havent mixed correctly I have still had no bottle bombs or flateys. Bulk priming leaves direct bottle priming for dead particularl when you bottle to many odd size bottles.

Jazman said:
well i give mine a gentle stir as u dont want air in your beer also get rid of that sediment reducer is does nothing and slows up racking speed i dont use them anymore
I used to think people were mad for not using them, until the day one clogged up half way through racking the beer.
Long story short, i ended up with a batch of very oxidised beer, and will never use one again. By the time you rack to secondary, and then rack to a bulk priming fermenter, you lose 98% of it anyway.

Back to bulk priming, i just pour in the sugar mix in the bottom of the fermenter, then rack with a nice whirlpool action going. They all seem to be evenly primed without having to stir at all.

The problem was that I was priming in my cube, which doesn't have a bottom disposed to whirlpool action. Last beer I did, I racked to the cube to settle for a few days before racking back to the fermenter to prime and bottle. That one caome out fine, with a little stir. Before that I did a stout bulk primed from the cube and made sure I sloshed it around a bit (but gently).

I don't use that sediment trap anymore either, Jazman. Now that I rack and condition, I don't really need it.

:chug:
I've just posted to Grumpys on this topic and will repeat here.
Seems to me that bulk priming causes as many problems as it solves.
So why bother?
Just measure and pour a spoon of sugar into each 750ml bottle, fill with your wonderful product, gently invert three times.
Result: Perfectly carbonated beer, no explosions, no flat bottles, no worries.
People who wish to bottle in stubbies . . . well, that's your problem. While you are washing those little bottles, I'm having a home brew.
:p

Rubes said:
Same here wee stu.

I always boil the priming sugar in a little water and dump this in the spare fermenter. I reckon having a hot sugar solution really helps the mixing with the cold swirling beer. Maybe not the best advice for your sleepy yeasties but seems to work for me.
Me too RUBES Me too!!

SJW said:
Rubes said:
Same here wee stu.

I always boil the priming sugar in a little water and dump this in the spare fermenter. I reckon having a hot sugar solution really helps the mixing with the cold swirling beer. Maybe not the best advice for your sleepy yeasties but seems to work for me.
Me too RUBES Me too!!
Ditto!

TL

I have bulk primed since 1972 and never [never] had a problem.

The method you describe is correct. Some yeast will be killed but there are many more to take their places in the quest for fermentation.

Ensure your sugar is mixed with at least 300ml of water and boiled for at least 3 - 4 minutes.

You can also dissolve any gelatin finings in the sugar mix [not while boiling] and they will be mixed evenly through the beer when you add the priming liquid to the bottom of the empty bottling bucket.

Steve

bibtracker said:
So why bother?
Just measure and pour a spoon of sugar into each 750ml bottle, fill with your wonderful product, gently invert three times.
People who wish to bottle in stubbies . . . well, that's your problem. While you are washing those little bottles, I'm having a home brew.
Bulk priming is trouble free if you have the right gear and bed down good practices.

Why bother? To avoid problems that will be caused by the method you described.

1. Measure a 'spoonful' per 750ml bottle.

Some of my bottles are 800ml, some 750ml, some 500, 375,330,300 etc. So a "bit less than a spoonful in there, a bit more in there, about half, a bit less than half, about a third". Consistent carbonation across a batch using this method? No hope.

Also, not every style needs the same carbonation level. English Special Bitter - low carb. Bavarian Weizen - high carb. "Bit less than a spoon, a bit less than a bit less than a spoon, bit less than half a spoon.... etc". With bulk priming, you calculate, weigh and use EXACTLY the amount of priming agent you require and know exactly how carbonated the finished beer will be. There is no hit and miss, regardless of the size of the bottle or the style.
[EDIT: I swear I picked those two styles as an example before I read the thread at Grumpys)

2. "Invert the bottle three times".

A great way to introduce oxygen into finished beer. Fine if you drink it all early.

I have not experienced any problems bulk priming. Ever. Not one. So I solve 2 problems immediately (probably more that I haven't thought of right now... maybe something along the line of missing the bottle with your spoon - fixed with use of a funnel - but then you have to worry about sterlising it and waiting for it to dry... etc)

Bulk priming is the ~only~ way to prime, as anyone who has gotten it right will testify. Yes, you need a round bucket or spare fermenter. Yes, you need to rack. Yes, you need accurate scales. Hardly insurmountable issues. Every brewer worth his airlock has all these things already and knows how to rack.

Mr Bibtracker
I second Thomas in that if your system works, stick to it, but bulk priming does let you adjust the carbonation better, I like my English ales at less carbonation than my lagers. And because I used to sample quite a lot of brews during the bottling process, I found no sugaring or double sugaring happened surprisingly often. Makes it easier for me to use a double bottler as well.
The double bottler will be on display at the meet on Saturday if you want to drop by.

bibtracker said:
So why bother?
I hate to be rude, but anyone who has any trouble with bulk priming isn't doing the simplest brewing procedure correctly.

:lol:

It's good to promote a bit of discussion on this topic.
But don't misread what I said.
I don't have a problem with bulk priming.
I just wonder if it is really the Holy Grail that it is often made out to be on this and other sites.
I'm sure it works a treat if done properly. Equally, so does sugaring the bottles if you don't have a variety of diferent sized bottles.
And if you make a cock up with either method, you're going to have trouble.
Different strokes for different folks.

bibtracker said:
But don't misread what I said.
I don't have a problem with bulk priming.

bibtracker said:
So why bother?

Seems to me you ~do~ have a problem with bulk priming.
With the amount of turning you're doing, we could use you as a mash-paddle ;)

bibtracker said:
I just wonder if it is really the Holy Grail that it is often made out to be on this and other sites.
Not only is it the holy grail of home brewing it is the single biggest thing you can do to improve your brews. I fail to see how anyone can stuff it up if you mix 180g of dextrose with 500ml's of hot/boiling water, and dump into a spare fermenter then rack the beer on top, stir & bottle, it's should be fool proof?

bibtracker,
dont worry about it too much. You can always prime with less and wait longer for carbonation to take place.
I only did an individual prime for my first 2 brews. The first one was with the drops from the Coopers kit i got and the second one was with white sugar individually into each bottle. That sucked. I knew then I could not go on priming like that.
Just read all you can aboout it and then experiment with it. You will get the hang of it eventually.

cheers

I've been bulk priming for a fair whale, this was the first time I did it to a cube, and the only time I've had any trouble. As Murray implied, I was a few planks short at the time.

I have always susspected that a racking after fermentation has finished can create oxygen pick up, Which I beleave is the only negative against bulk priming. I too use several sized bottles and desire different carbonation for different styles and bulk priming is to me the only way. Of course I am still living the keg dream which when it fruits I guess will be the perfect answer to carbonation :D

Latest posts

Back