Potent Brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raa

Reaction score
Just a short questions for all you brewing gurus. What is the most potent (alcoholic) brew going round (that tastes decent)?

I'm brewing a mega beer at the moment. In fact I will keg it this weekend. It is my Xmas Bender beer. When I racked to tertiary it was already 9%.
It is a dark doppelbock style of beer, which I had to use a Belgian High Gravity Yeast to actually ferment it.

Beers,
Doc

try lookin up barley wine
its a pretty big beer
i have only heard of it never had it
approx 10% alchol
english origin ( i think ) big O.G.

thats all i know
:D
simon

The barrier to super strong brews is not the fermentables (you can just add more to your recipe). The barrier is the yeast making so much alcohol it dies! Doc has it, you need a high gravity yeast or something like Champagne yeast. That's what I'll be trying for a batch of strong Cherry Beer/Barley Wine.

Give this one a whirl raa, I've got it brewing at the moment so no idea how it's going to turn out.

1 good bitter or ale kit
1.5kg light malt extract
2kg dextrose
15g Fuggles hop pellets

The name of the exact can I can't recall but it was from Morgans if my memory serves me correctly.

EDIT: If you have never used LME before it is a real pain in the ring to dissolve, it loves to stick in chunks making it hard to dissolve. Has anyone got any tips on getting LME to dissolve? Does it matter whether the water is boiling?

Al Korzonas, in "Homebrewing Volume 1" recommends using the entire yeast cake from a previous medium-gravity batch as the yeast for a barleywine. He argues that this is a better option than a large starter (eg. 2 litre). If using a starter and fermentation gets stuck, he recommends taking the entire yeast cake from another batch - or pitching 3 or four packages of rehydrated dry yeast (being careful not to aerate the wort).

There are a couple of big recipes in the Korzonas book. His barley wine is %9.7 and the imperial stout is around %12.

cheers
reg

It looks like Pete's Belgium Tripel is looking like one of the strongest, well forumulated and most potent beers (that tastes good). Make sure you check it out in the Kitchen.
Belgium Tripel

Back