Post Your Ghetto Gear Thread. The < $2.00 Hopper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my $2.00 ghetto hop screen. Brought a tea ball from the $2.00 shop for..Yes you guessed it $2.00.

Split it in half. Squeezed a stainless nut inside it and screwed this onto the inside of my ball valve. Perfect.

screen.jpg

Ghetto airlock cap for the willow carrycan ferms. Total cost, about $1.90. Was the best i could walk out of bunnings with seeing as they don't sell SS threaded barbs. To ebay!

plb4g.jpg

It was time to Automate the mill..

1 Shelf and Bucket with prop leg on a hinge and some support up stands for the drill handle

1.JPG

All attached (Drill $50 from Aldi)

2.JPG

All packed up neatly under the bench

3.JPG

:D best hour and a half tinkering ever.. going to mill with it tmoz and the best thing is that it's easily portable :beerbang:

Yob

So you'll be bringing it to the case-swap? :)

Yeah mate, that was the driving thought behind it.. how does it go...

Necessity is the mother of invention :lol:

lucky that I had inspiration from other peoples set ups here to help me out with ideas

:icon_cheers: all.

My Next build is gunna be a cracker I rekon :excl:

Yob

ed: grammer

1.JPG

these drills here are the shit Wolfy..

The problem I had with the Ryobi cordless is I was always forgetting to charge the effing battery or it would run low by the end of the bill.. and though it looks like you will cable tie the trigger to a setting I never got round to that, was the way I was heading though...

Though this one is a plug in it's a little more set and forget... Was really getting to detest sitting there milling ;) there's just so much more I could be doing if it was looking after itself <_< Hopefully now it will..

you bringing yours to the swap as well? more the merrier I say

:icon_cheers:

The problem I had with the Ryobi cordless is I was always forgetting to charge the effing battery or it would run low by the end of the bill.. and though it looks like you will cable tie the trigger to a setting I never got round to that, was the way I was heading though...

Though this one is a plug in it's a little more set and forget... Was really getting to detest sitting there milling ;) there's just so much more I could be doing if it was looking after itself <_< Hopefully now it will..
Yeah the battery does always seem to run low right when I'm doing something important, but that's why there are two. ;)
I used to hand-crank the old mill, so even if I have to hold the trigger on the drill for a couple of mins, its a huge improvement on that!

ghetto steralizable slurry containers.....baby bottles! twas cleaning out baby stuff we no longer need/use and came across the tommy tippy baby bottles. flat bottom flat top a few hundred mls capacity. perfect for collectingt and storing slurry instead of using PET bottles which you cant steralise or stack on top of each other.

so dont chuck your baby bottles fellas, reuse them in the brewery! And the're FREE.

Broke my hydrometer tube the day I got my kit...so...off to Sam's Warehouse and picked up a flower vase, tall and thin (and glass) for $1.50 :lol: thank god the hydrometer was ok

so dont chuck your baby bottles fellas, reuse them in the brewery! And the're FREE.
That's a good idea, I have a baby-bottle sterilizer here if anyone wants it - I was going to use it for yeast-stuff until I got the pressure cooker. :)

ghetto steralizable slurry containers.....baby bottles! twas cleaning out baby stuff we no longer need/use and came across the tommy tippy baby bottles. flat bottom flat top a few hundred mls capacity. perfect for collectingt and storing slurry instead of using PET bottles which you cant steralise or stack on top of each other.

I actually found that whatever brand of baby food SWMBO was buying was a 200ml container that had a flat bottom. I collected a lot of them until the daughter found them thinking they were food and knocked them all down. Now I only have half a dozen left.

I use olive jars they are really good for collecting yeast slurry, contains 700g of olives beer bottle for scale

SAM_0025.JPG

I use olive jars they are really good for collecting yeast slurry, contains 700g of olives beer bottle for scale
I need some more of those (bottom fell out of one making yoghurt last night), problem is that I hate olives and we don't eat enough sauerkraut, sundried tomatoes or the like to buy them in big-jars. ;(

most $2 shops have got those mason type jars, hold about 800ml (not measured) for a few bucks.. thick glass too. Ive got an army of the bloody things and rekon they are tits... easy to throw in the microwave or a big pot to boil...

the added benifit of not having to eat the olives

Gherkins, Wolfy, gherkins!
my almost 3yo loves them so we buy them by the carton. Under $2 a jar to keep with the theme.

DSC_0791.JPG

reminds me to throw out a heap which are well past it's best buy date:

DSC_0792.JPG

EDIT: At Aldi of course, where else?

Or pickled onions they come in the same kind of jar. Even get some vinegar in there to mix with bleach to make no rinse. ;)

Gherkins, Wolfy, gherkins!
my almost 3yo loves them so we buy them by the carton. Under $2 a jar to keep with the theme.
reminds me to throw out a heap which are well past it's best buy date:
EDIT: At Aldi of course, where else?
Great idea, thanks!
(Pretty sure my old large jars were pickle jars)
... and Aldi have Duct-Tape on special on Saturday so was planning a visit anyway.

I hope that is old yeast and not pickles in those jars.

Hey Folks,

Do you need to mod the crank shaft to get a drill to fit? Do I need to grind back the lip on the end of the crank and use a 3/8th tek screw bit?

This bit here:

20120719_201315.jpg

Take a file and file one or two flats on the un-cut sides of that shaft to give the drill jaws something to grip on.

Even if you don't, worse you'll do is scar the shaft a little.

Back