Post Fermentation Temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbosher

Reaction score
During fermentation I know I need to keep the temp around 18-22c for ale, what about once the fermentation is complete? If I keep it in the FV for about two weeks, does it matter if the temp drops below that for the last few days?

Cooler is fine. look up cold conditioning.

Too hot can accelerate ageing and staling.

If you are trying to naturally carbonate (eg bottle prime) obviously you need to raise the temp to a range in which your chosen yeast will work - roughly ferment temps although lagers will cope with ale ferment temps for bottle carbonation.

After carbonation, storing cool or cold is recommended.

Thanks manticle. In the cooler weather (which is most of the time in NZ) I use a heat belt, was wondering if I could remove it for the last few days...seems I can.

2 things here:

1) it's recommended to raise the temp of the brew at the end to get rid of any diacetyl. Trust in not wanting to drink a keg full of light beer that tastes of diacetyl!

2) after resting @ above for 1-2 days, it is common to cold-crash to 0-4C to drop the yeast out. Can be like this for weeks.

Edit: cunticle beat me, still, keep the diacetyl rest in mind.

Thanks manticle. In the cooler weather (which is most of the time in NZ) I use a heat belt, was wondering if I could remove it for the last few days...seems I can.

As long as fermentation is finished and as PF suggests, you have a little resting time at fermentation temp or a touch higher before allowing it to get too cool.

Back