• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Possibly Selling My Converted Chest Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kman

Reaction score
howdy everone.

I am thinking of maybe selling my converted chest freezer, which holds 4 kegs (or 3 and a gas bottle) a heap of glasses and room left over for yeasts of bottles or what ever else you want in there.

The project is about 95% complete, it is total working order, just a few cosmetic things to fix up and what not.

Very good keg system, with a 3 tap font from who else but GMK :) :chug:

Looking to down size, because im still at home, dad doesnt want the big thing in the house, so the only options are in the garage (which i only really brew in, not drink so much) or under the pargola (slightly exposed to the elements.)

So i think i will buy a small fridge i can keep in my room, that holds one maybe two kegs with mounted font on top.

the ******* at myer that sold me a camera that broke told me i wont get the thing back for a few weeks, so i will try and borrow a cam and take some snaps.

Not sure on price yet, i will have a think about it. Just wanted too see if there was much interest.

cheers

oh and im in geelong by the way.

kman said:
howdy everone.

I am thinking of maybe selling my converted chest freezer, which holds 4 kegs (or 3 and a gas bottle) a heap of glasses and room left over for yeasts of bottles or what ever else you want in there.

The project is about 95% complete, it is total working order, just a few cosmetic things to fix up and what not.

Very good keg system, with a 3 tap font from who else but GMK :) :chug:

Looking to down size, because im still at home, dad doesnt want the big thing in the house, so the only options are in the garage (which i only really brew in, not drink so much) or under the pargola (slightly exposed to the elements.)

So i think i will buy a small fridge i can keep in my room, that holds one maybe two kegs with mounted font on top.

the ******* at myer that sold me a camera that broke told me i wont get the thing back for a few weeks, so i will try and borrow a cam and take some snaps.

Not sure on price yet, i will have a think about it. Just wanted too see if there was much interest.

cheers

oh and im in geelong by the way.
[post="54501"][/post]​

Hmummmmmmmmm now lets see, Geelong, I think its a southern suburb of Castlemaine

Could very well be inteterested, so its got a post on top ? with 3 taps right

Normell

thats correct, it has 3 tap, and a post mounted on top, but incorrect on the location, Geelong is actually the second biggest city in victoria, we have a foot ball team now (actually we have one of the original two football teams)

Ill try my best to get some pics up when i can find a camera.

kman said:
, we have a foot ball team now (actually we have one of the original two football teams)

[post="54512"][/post]​

Funny I've never heard of them :blink: :blink:

Batz

thought all the good footy teams are north and west of the vic border.

big d

Hey kman - I might be selling my 2-keg fridge - currently building a chest freezer myself (6-tap - 4 normal kegs plus 2 shorties).

It's neat, 2 taps in the door (Andale EK, brand new), drip tray, wheels, handles, finished in gunmetal hammerite. I'll probably sell it complete with a couple of kegs, stainless disconnects and regulator.

Feel free to make me an offer if it sounds like what you need - hopefully it'll be free within a couple of weeks or so.

love too see some pics wortgames, sound very nice, is it a compact fridge for a tell one? As i am really wanting a smaller unit, so i can put it in a corner of the room and not really worry about it.

But put up some pics if you have them

Here we go:

0003.jpg0004.jpg

hmmmm, very very interested :)

very interested indeed

Wortgames that is the coolest fridge, did you build it yourself?

Yep, I originally built it as a traveller so that I could take a couple of kegs to a friends place for Christmas. At the time I had an upright fridge in the laundry with lines running through the wall to a 4-way font in the dining room. Had a bucket of antifreeze in the freezer compartment circulating through the font. I love this hobby. But I digress...

It took ages to find the right 2-keg fridge - there aren't many around, I can tell you. I searched all over Sydney and finally a guy in a shop said 'you can check over at my workshop if you like'. Went to the workshop (where his family lived out the back, I think) and saw this reconditioned one sitting behind the counter - opened it up and lo and behold no freezer compartment - but full of groceries! I apologised profusely (hey, they had no shortage of fridges around and I REALLY needed that one!) and bought it for about $200 I think. It's the perfect size - even the thermostat and light box doesn't get in the way - the taller, slimmer kegs go up beside it, and the shorter, fatter Rheem kegs go underneath it (and yes, you can have one of each, as long as the Rheem keg is on the right :)

I replaced the door lining with masonite, drilled a couple of holes, painted it, and installed some handles, wheels, taps and a drip tray.

Since I've moved to Melbourne I haven't really got the space for a font setup, so I've been using it as my main rig. Just this week I swiped the taps off it - they were old but they match my others so I'll use them for the freezer). I had to get a load of bits at Andale so I got a couple of brand new EK taps for it.

The way I see it, the chest freezer will double as my mobile rig anyway so I will probably try to recoup some cash by selling the 2-kegger, although it will be sad to see it go.

I'll probably tidy it up a bit before I sell it, the paint job needs redoing and the plywood base isn't too flash, but it's a great little fridge and runs like a dream. I've got some stainless disconnects but don't want to use them in the chest freezer, so if I do sell the 2-kegger I'll fit it out as a complete primo rig with a couple of kegs and try to get a decent price.

I've seen the dodgy kegerator things going for $1200, built out of a plasticy fridge with a plasticy font and a single plasticy crappy tap, with no kegs or drip tray (or regulator?), and this thing whoops their ass except that it is secondhand. So I'll probably be looking to get as close to $1000 as I can for it, I think its fair.

So basically it will end up on eBay unless kman or anyone else from AHB wants to put their hand up first.

i sure is bloody nice, but im not sure if i wouold pay $1000 for it :)
Although it makes me think what i might be able to get for mine if i take it too ebay. Might be worth the extra $100 or so to make a wooden frame and turn it into a bar type thing, might fetch a few more bucks.

I think i might end up making my own the way things are going. Only problem, like wortgames said is finding the right fridge that will take my taller kegs.

I also might get myself one of those italian style fonts from ebay (in US) or a cobra style font, something very simple but looks very classy :)

Best of luck wortgames, it looks great - but I reckon you'll struggle to get more than $500 or $600 even with the kegs... Hope you get what you're after though :beer:

I guess it's a case of whether building it will be fun for you. Most of us enjoy farting around with this kind of thing, but if the thought of spending a couple of weeks driving around trying to find the right fridge, and then getting all the parts and putting it all together is too much like hard work you might prefer to just stump up the cash and be drinking instead :D

A quick tally of costs:

Reco fridge - $200 if you can find it
Regulator - $100
2 Kegs - $150
2 Taps - $150
Drip Tray - $100
4 Stainless disconnects - $80 if you can find them
Beer & gas lines - $10
Wheels - $60
Handles - $15
Latches - $10
Paint - $20

So you're looking at about $900 to build one plus a lot of hunting around, drilling, painting etc. So I reckon I could get over $800 for it without ripping anyone off.

Of course, feel free to tell me I'm dreaming :rolleyes:

you make a good point wortgame, but i just have to keep in mind i already have plenty of disconnects, i have a drip tray, i have a reg, i have plenty of kegs, i have enough beer line to make a clothes line out of......... and so on :)

So if i was to build a unit, it would only cost me a font and a fridge, and those costs will be covered if i sold my old unit.

But i do like the look of yours, looks really industrial :)

Oh well im thinking of getting a carpenter in to build me a frame and turn the one i have into a bar, and get a cabinet for wine build seperately and a spirit shelf build behind, just a whole bar built togetther in pieces.

Ill have to find out if i know anyone who can do all that for a fair price.

Yeah, I guess I might have better luck selling it to a new kegger who has none of the gear. He's up for $400 to get into kegging, with a single tap and no fridge and plenty of work to do, so mine for say $800 isn't a bad deal in comparison. Of course, a new kegger won't realise how hard it is to find that sort of fridge :huh:

It sounds like you've changed your tune pretty significantly - you've gone from 'no room for the freezer' to building a whole pub around it! Don't forget to take pics of the whole process!

hahah, yeah wort, i guess i have a bit. Just been thinking about the time it did take me to track down each bit, and dont want to get the short stray when it comes to selling it. So i might have to negotiage better and find a good spot for it. Other wise set up my garage better.

Also got to find me a longer drip tray that i can mount infront of my font too.

I have a drip tray that I might sell - probly a 4 tap tray that's the same width as a wheelie bin. Only $1500 (i jest, I jest).

Too 'tired and emotional' at the moment, but remind me.

Back