Possibly My Last Kit..... What Yeast To Use

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobrien

Stubborn Scientist Brewing
Reaction score
With the advent of my kegging setup and a new AG setup which I'm getting from Batz, I'm about to brew possibly my last kit - I have to brew it because it is here on the shelf, and I'm going to need beer for the people that will help me move in 4 weeks :D

So the ingredients:

1 can Morgans Royal Oak Amber Ale
1 can Morgans Master blend beer enhancer
23L water

Now I see why I'm going to AG!!

Anyway, there is no way I'm using the packet yeast - I'll pick up something decent... any suggestions?

I was thinking of German Ale Yeast 1007 or London Ale Yeast 1028, but really I'm just guessing...

Matt

I'd go the London Ale yeast and a handful of EKG pellets in the primary.

I'm with PoMo on this one.

Go the EKG hops, maybe up to 3 plugs or equiv. Fuggles may give it an earthy taste if that appeals 2 U.
I'd think about an ESB yeast or Wyeast London III, although 1028 London will do it for you.
I think that German Ale is too clean for a Winter ale.

Thanks for your time.
Seth out

I'd go the wyeast 1728 scottish for the style you're making & in this weather, happily ferments even down at lager temps - a great all round yeast...

Righto - this is going on tomorrow - ended up going with 1318 londen ale.

I thought I got some goldings in the bulk hops buy, but it seems I didn't. Do I buy some at the HBS tomorrow, and if so how much do I add. Otherwise, on hand I have:

Hallertaun 2.5%
saaz 2.2%
Northern Brewer 9.8%
Amarillo 8.9%

suggestions? I'm not going for a particualr style or beer here - just want it to be good :D

Matt

mobrien said:
Righto - this is going on tomorrow - ended up going with 1318 londen ale.
[post="67334"][/post]​

Nice choice. I have used this yeast in a number of brews and it has produced some very nice results. A real top cropper, gives a massive krausen.

righto - so I took a guess and picked up some goldings - given the precise nature of the recipe I am using (!!) I used a semi-metric female handful (10.84g) of the 5.9% EKG, which will add to the already hopped kit - the added IBU is 9.3, I have no idea what the kit has, so lets see how it goes! I steeped them in 50mL boiling water for about 5 minutes before pitching.

Matt

A quick question on the 1318 Londen ale III - Has anyone else found this a slower yeast than normal? I only ask because my standard schedule has been about 1 week in primary, 1 week in secondary - this time though, its taking a lot longer - 1.5 in the primary, and I think it will end up the same in the secondary. No big drama, I'm just curious. Ferment temps are very similar to normal, so I'm wondering if its because its a top fermenting yeast?

Matt

Matt,
I've found the 1318 to be more inclined to stall at colder temps than a lot of yeasts I've used. From memory the recommended range is 18-23C. I now keep the temp at a fairly solid 20C.
The other thing that can be deceptive is the permanence of krausen with top cropping yeasts. It may look like it's still chugging away when it's all but finished.
With temperatures in range I've found it gets close enough to final gravity to rack after about a week, though I generally keep it a few days longer. You'll probably find that it reforms krausen in secondary anyway.
I find the 1318 a lower flocculator than I was expecting, so mine tend to get around 10 days primary, 20 days secondary/conditioning to allow a little more settling.
Hope that helps.

As Bilph said, it seemed to be the lower temps - in the end took 3 weeks for start to finish, not to bad at all. Great amber colour too.

Final was 1012, all activity ceased and crystal clear - a bit high, I'll blame the hops or the dodgey morgans kit :D

But the best bit - kegging. My goodness, how good is kegging. 35 minutes from getting the keg from the shed to putting it back in the shed sterlised (20 mins) filled, carbonated and all gear washed up.

Why did I ever muck around with bottles?!

Will report back with the taste test in a month or so - thats when I'll have moved and have the taps set up! Untill then it can age :D

M

Back