Possible wort infection, what to do?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteQ

Reaction score
Today I had time to brew whilst looking after my 18 month old son as my wife was off working all day, I haven't brewed in a while so I thought it would be a great idea to put something down. My son slept for 2 hours through the middle of the brew, all going well!
Chilled down to pitching temps, pitched yeast, put full FV into fermenting (bar) fridge, time to clean up... Within 2 minutes while I was cleaning up the last bits and peices in the kitchen he had gone into the garage, opened the fermenting fridge, jammed his hand through the cling wrap into the nicely aerated fluffy wort. When I ran into the garage to stop him, he was happily licking the foam off his hands. I quickly replaced the cling wrap then I had to go out, this happened about 6 hours ago.

Should I be letting it go and see what happens, if it does work out maybe give the beer a quirky name like 'hand of satan' or should I be pasteurising this batch and repitching?

Any help or direction to other threads would be greatly appreciated.

Wait and see.
In the meantime put a lock on the fridge, cos if he gets into a fermented wort and suffers the ill effects of alcohol....

Wait and see I reckon, but really up to you.
Just try to remember where else he had his hands beforehand an go from there.

Bringing back up to temple and repitching can be easy enough but is also a major pain if you aready had mentally finished brewing.

What sort of beer is it anyway? If it's something very hoppy I'd definitey leave it.

Thanks Florian and indica

Yep, a lock is DEFINITELY in order

I think I have already made a decision to leave it considering the time now and how long it will take me to pastuerise, chill and repitch (the human alarm clock goes off at around 6 every morning). I might even put another brew down tomorrow depending on what the boss wants to do.

It is a hoppy-ish APA 20l batch with about 80 grams of 2013 amarillo which i cant wait to try... hopefully

1. Keep your son Diego out of the brewery .....

2. "Hand of God APA" seems fitting.

3. Leave it, ferment it, let your mother in law taste it first and if she survives then enjoy .......... if she doesn't then enjoy just the same ^_^

Cheers
BBB

BBB

1. I know, schoolboy error

2. 'Hand of God APA' makes him sound like a gem of a kid... Any other suggestions would be appreciated

3. Would you believe that my mother in law is down from Darwin in a weeks time! Keg, carb, serve and wait for the reaction!!!

How well sanitised is the boy?

Had he just picked his nose?
Did he just eat some dirt?
Was he just finished with patting the dog?
Did he have some melted icecream on his hands?

In many cases the answer would be yes to each of those questions, so, I reckon it will be fine. :D

HA! I would happily say yes to all 5 points...

All of those things I instantly though of when I saw him licking the wort foam off his hand like an icecream. I think i just swore really REALLY loud, of course making the situation much easier to deal with.

When is the fun part with kids meant to start???

Mate this is a high point - believe me.
It is all downhill from here ...

The only enjoyment you will get now is when you talk to couples having their first bubba..
You now get to play along and say stuff like, "it's the greatest thing eva" and "I feel complete now that I'm a dad" as well as, "I can't imagine life without my child" etc etc ...

I want a shirt with "Don't breed - Brew"
carry on
BBB

That's awesome, getting the young bloke to lend a hand.

PeteQ said:
When is the fun part with kids meant to start???
Since I left home, whenever I go back to visit I bring a 6pack and if it is Father Day or the old mans b'day, I will bring him a bottle of single malt.
We chat, have a few drinks then I leave. I reckon that is where the fun kicks in.

Just another 20+ years Pete :p

Depends on pitch rate. Sufficient and healthy yeast may win the battle over the newly infused bacteria. You say its a bar fridge so I'm guessing its a 23 litre batch. Here's my completely baseless and unscientific probability assessment of success, success being defined as drinkable vs dump..

Pitched dry 1 packet 5%
Pitched dry 2 packets 15%
Dry but rehydrated 2 packets 30%
Liquid with starter of volume suggested by Mr Malty 50%

Haha thanks Surly, my old boy definitely expects me to bring a few beers for tastings when we visit every month or so.

Gelding, I don't like those odds... I pitched 1 rehydrated pack of US05, 20l with an OG of 1047. I will keg as soon as it hits terminal and hope for the best.

A quick update on this - it hit FG in 5 days and I set the fermenting fridge to 2 degrees. Kegged and force carbed it today, it is an absolute cracking beer! Turns out the young blokes hands aren't covered in as much crap as I thought...

Thank you all for you words of wisdom, it is much appreciated.

Back