Possible Over-priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6tri6ple6

Reaction score
Hey all,
ive just bottled a Belgian Blonde, the recipe came from Brewing Classic Styles.In the book it says carbonate to 3-4 volumes. I have primed it to about so i get about 3.2 volumes and bottled it into 330ml bottles. Thinking about it now, do i need to be worried about bottle bombs at this rate? What is the limit in a standard 330ml brown beer bottle? If there is too much in there, what would be the best way to 'vent' some pressure?
Ive been googling for a while now and cant find a definitive answer so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Richard

I'm no expert but depends how you primed them. Bulk prime or single bottles and how much sugar used. If they definately are over primed I have read before to chill the bottles, pop the caps, let them warm and recap. Maybe leave the lids loose on top so not junk gets in your beer.

Also I have always used carbon drops, one for normal stubby, two for king brown, but I have bottle in 330 ml without problems. I tried to bulk prime once and stuffed it so now I keg haha.
Chris

The bottles should withstand that pressure O.K. but you might get gushers when you open them. Good advise keep them as cold as possible to avoid foaming. Good idea is to always bottle at least one in PET then you can monitor your carbonation by feeling the bottle.

Back