Possible Mislabeling on Bottles of Sail & Anchor's "Monkey

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evil_as_skeletor

Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure whether this is the place for this topic, or whether the topic is even justified, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway.

I purchased a four-pack of Sail & Anchor Monkey's Fist PA from BWS (on special), and to my palate, it tasted more like their Golden or Amber Ale (I can't recall which it was that I purchased before - I reckon it was the GA) than the Pale that I have tasted before.

Is it possible that there was a mislabeling of a batch to equate to this?

I really like the 'Citrussy' and American style PA's and I am 100% sure that the taste was nothing like this (in fact I generally steer clear of these more nutty, English almost 'Belgian' tasting beers) all the other times I have purchased this brand.

I tried to find an email address to contact them and ask the question, but I got results for a Sail and Anchor Pub, with a different address to what was on the rear of the label of the beer itself.

Does anyone here associate with the Brewery, or have the correct contact details?

I am more inquisitive than annoyed... and i could be 100% incorrect in attempting to base my opinion on tasting.

Regards,

Erin

Being on special may well be code for 'out of date or about to expire'. What is the best before?
Mislabelling would be an almost zero chance I would think.

Write to the brewery and see what they say when you find their address.

If it tasted like vaguely bitter water, it was probably Sail & Anchor.

slash22000 said:
If it tasted like vaguely bitter water, it was probably Sail & Anchor.
This made me laugh.
I kind of like it as a cheap easy to drink 'daily', I like my decent, more exotic brews too (Torpedo/West Coast IPA), but $3 a beer is too good a deal to pass up, I just got it slightly wrong this time...

Cube said:
Being on special may well be code for 'out of date or about to expire'. What is the best before?
Mislabelling would be an almost zero chance I would think.

Write to the brewery and see what they say when you find their address.
I'll check it, but I am sure it was ok.
Like I almost said in the OP, I had once bought a 4 of one of either the Amber or Golden, and I disliked the flavour, so I gave the rest to a mate. And the flavour of these bottles instantly reminded me of that.
I liked their "original" PA when I first tried it, so I was very disappointed this time around - I still drank them (bar one) though...

Latest posts

Back