Possible March Pump ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Fester

Old, Grumpy and PROUD of it!
Reaction score
Yes, it's Chinese, and yes, it is rated to 60 degrees, but surely there would be a tolerance there????

Thoughts???

Fester Out.

March Pump ?

Looks like it has thermal protection, possibly cut off at 60+

Yes, it's Chinese, and yes, it is rated to 60 degrees, but surely there would be a tolerance there????

Thoughts???

Fester Out.

March Pump ?

I would not trust it to even be working reliably with 60 degree liquid for a prolonged period of time. I suspect if you get closer to mash out temperatures, the pump may have issues getting rid of the heat buildup or even worse it might cause the plastic to degrade.

A lot of pumps would be designed to heat up to a certain temperature before they have issues. Usually the longer you run them or the hotter the liquid is that is going past the pump impellor, the warmer it gets. The duty cycle on this pump is 30 minutes at a 50% loading, so shorter than any of the mashing regimes I have seen and I would be confident that this is for moving cold liquids - With hot liquid this duty cycle is likely to be much shoter.

I know that March pumps are designed to handle liquids above boiling temperature without the plastic components falling apart or the pump getting too hot. Mind you, the pumps do get very hot when being run for a prolonged period but they don't seem to have issues if you maintain them properly.

Regards

Roller

For the $ difference, it aint worth it to me

QldKev

duty cycle = 30min at 50% load :(

These are used to get "tap pressure" water in caravans and camper tailers. Not really suited to a brewers needs.

At the moment the best replacement for a march pump is a march pump. :)

I bought an ex-industrial (aircraft workshop use to move foam) march pump off eBay USA that isn't specified as a brewing pump. Actually, rated to 68C if I remember right. However, I did a thorough search of materials of all components and they are all good for 90 something degrees at least. Used it last brew to move wort and grain at mash out temp between vessels, no probs at all. Only thing is, march is really good about publishing the parts and materials so it's rather easy to make your own decision. If such information was more widely available...

PS: mine cost me a 100 USD.

I use one of the little BROWN PUMP'S for HLT recirc and love the little beast... food grade tooo in case I want to add more connections and expand... Im almost tempted to get another one now.

Yob

Yob ... is the little brown pump worked from a switch to activate it ?? I think it sounds like a great little pump .. I am curious to know if you found it an easy instal or a bit freakin WTF

Will pick up a couple of these pumps from Fleabay this week ... excited ... Much ...

Matt

Yob ... is the little brown pump worked from a switch to activate it ?? I think it sounds like a great little pump .. I am curious to know if you found it an easy instal or a bit freakin WTF

piece 'o'piss, was harder to mount it and plumb it by far, but even that was a doddle, than to wire it... just got some of those male female little plug thingys and a 9v converter, chopped both and away it went.. I want it detachable so I can move the HLT etc easily.

1.JPG

Will pick up a couple of these pumps from Fleabay this week ... excited ... Much ...

Matt
I have a shed load of them and they are great, features on my new system. what do you want 12 or 24V ? Actually come over on Sunday and see it in action.
Nev

Nev That would be sweet .... which week :) ... I have to slum it at Busso this week end .. Ooooh I have a hard life ... yep !!! but the up shot is I am thinking of cracking out a brew whilst there using the Busso water and a bucket load of Marris otter and Crystal ... maybe just a kg of Honey too ... for fermentables obviously :) ... hoping for a 7.5% Pale ale :) ... but def keen to see the little pumps running ... perhaps the following week end ??? Let me know .. Keen as Mustard so to speak ... do you have them in store ??/ same price as Fleabay obviously ;-P ...

Matt

Nev That would be sweet .... which week :) ... I have to slum it at Busso this week end .. Ooooh I have a hard life ... yep !!! but the up shot is I am thinking of cracking out a brew whilst there using the Busso water and a bucket load of Marris otter and Crystal ... maybe just a kg of Honey too ... for fermentables obviously :) ... hoping for a 7.5% Pale ale :) ... but def keen to see the little pumps running ... perhaps the following week end ??? Let me know .. Keen as Mustard so to speak ... do you have them in store ??/ same price as Fleabay obviously ;-P ...

Matt
Mate I have a brew day here on Sunday but planning another 2 weeks after. Hard life yes I feel for you :p
Flea bay or better, I haven't actually seen any on there lately, mind you I haven't looked that hard. We did a 100L herms brew with it a few weeks ago and sucked a wheat beer out with one on Friday, amazing little pumps. Not on the site yet but when I get some time...... I dont use the march pump much these days.
Nev

Matt
Found the ones on ebay they are less capacity than the ones I stock, mine are 1/2" threaded 12 V Flow 8L per min and head height of 3 m, the 24 V is even better !
Nev

Nev .. I am thinking is the pump for you only used for the HLT to the Mashing Tun ??? or do you have one from the Mashing Tun to the Keggle / Kettle ??

Would you recommend the 12v ?? I am thinking that this may just be the solution I have been looking for :) Do you have a pic of your set up ?

Matt

Back