Possible Infection? Hop Flowers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKBrews

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This isn't a panic post, but I'm curious to know. Brewed this morning and transferred to the fermenter about 20min ago. Chucked the wort in the fridge to get ready to pitch my yeast and I noticed this on the surface.

Any ideas what it is? This is my first time using flowers (courtesy of Belgrave and Yob), so I'm thinking it could be a result of that which I'm not used to. The other more annoying scenario is that something was hiding in my grainfather chiller and I managed to dislodge it during transfer.

All advice appreciated :) ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483771895.996233.jpg

Doesn't look good. See how it goes.

Not sure I'd consider hop flowers the likely, primary culprit.

That's what I thought.... should I skim it? I used a lot of hops in this and am almost out of beer, so I really want it to work out...

What sort of infection looks like that?

Looks like a lacto some shit.

Should not be the flowers.

****! Should I try and skim it? How on earth would that have developed so quickly?

EDIT: Before anyone asks I soaked my fermenters in cleaning solution for an hour prior to transfer and then 20min sanitising solution.

If you haven't pitched yet maybe transfer back to the boil kettle and give it a 10-15 minute boil to kill whatever is in there and hope it hasn't produced off flavours in that time. If you have a no chill cube just transfer straight into that with the recirc piping, which is how I compete all my GF brews.

If you have already pitched then maybe transfer back to the boil kettle and give it a 10-15 minute boil to kill whatever is in there and hope it hasn't produced off flavours in that time. If you have a no chill cube just transfer straight into that with the recirc piping, which is how I compete all my GF brews.

*spelling

Don't have any cubes and everything is all packed up. Too risky for me to transfer and boil again now anyway...

Then see how it goes.

Your vessel may not have been properly clean, regardless of length of time soaking.

Also grain contains lacto so nearby grain dust from cracking can be an issue.

Bugger.

The other possible drama is the Tilt, make sure you clean and sanitise that very carefully if it is an infection.

I'm going to skim it off anyway. I have a good feeling it's just scum and not lacto.

Thanks for the input - hopefully someone else has had it and had no dramas.

I have noticed the GF filter and pump can sometimes let through a bit into my cubes if I don't let it sit for 20 minutes after flame out.

I'm going to leave it before I definitely give it an infection. I did a hopstand at 72 degrees for 45min on this brew, so it's likely my whirlpool was disturbed and some of the break did get in, so probably is that. Just not sure why it filmed like that!

If hot break got in and disturbed it may sit on the surface and it will form a film. Think about what happens to the protein just before the boil and what it looks like on the surface. Yes it foams up but there is usually a skin that forms as well. Now you have shown that picture it definitely looks like hot break. If that's the case it's only a small amount and shouldn't cause any dramas.

Do you brew inside out outside?

Wind during warmer months carry all kinds of stuff and if the FV has a gap during transfer you can pick up infections that way, if your are outside.

I had similar in a batch a while ago, in the bit that I used for starters and reboiiled after dilution. As with you, it was too soon for an infection to have caused the skin, and all turned out to be good. Had me a bit worried at the time though.....

It's very unlike that any microbes would create a film that thick in such a short amount of time....

paulyman said:
That looks more like hot break.
I was gonna say this from the start.... Looks like hot/cold break protein to me.... very normal, and not something that will negatively affect your brew.

I get stringy break hanging off my dip tubes and thermowell of my kettle after transferring... looks just like that.

Pratty1 said:

Wind during warmer months carry all kinds of stuff and if the FV has a gap during transfer you can pick up infections that way, if your are outside.
I brew in my garage and there's no gap in my transfer.

I'm glad I posted this, seems like there's nothing towery about! Thanks everyone.

Pratty1 said:

I brew in my garage and there's no gap in my transfer.

I'm glad I posted this, seems like there's nothing towery about! Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back