Possible fermenter infection not sure.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthrony

Reaction score
I have a black plastic fermenter that I've come to call my favourite. I know what pellicle looks like and have had it and dealt with it in the past, also know what O2 can do to a beer. From the best I can remember the last brew and this Cooper's extract Cervesa I kegged a few days ago, were in the same fermenter. I tasted it this is arvo and the same bloody taste has emerged, All I can think is it is the same fermenter over 4 batches. I had a wheat I used Saf WB-06, and a lager using Saflager34/70 and now this one, using US-05. They all taste the same, exactly the same. not a vineger taste, not exactly a slick butterscotch taste, but similar to a butterscotch, like a bourbon in a way. Sweeter not really bitter.. It's not under fementing or green beer, no obvious infection in the fermentations. I don't know what it could be, I've kegged them all, just used a picnic tap thinking it might be the lines somehow, but no, the taste is still there. At first I blamed Saf WB06 and Saflager 34/70, but realise old favourite US-05 was just used .. infection ? I don't know enough about infections to classify it. maybe time to turf this fermenter?

For the cost of a fermenter, you might as well turf it and eliminate the variable altogether. Could be an environmental issue though (wild yeasts in the air etc). How many batches have you done on it?

Was your FG particularly low? The taste you are describing reminds me of Brett yeast (an infection)

Back