Possibile? Belgian Tripple From A Kit +?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinkas

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was just wondering if there is any chance of making a Belgian tripple style beer using kits or malt extracts, or is it a must to at least partial mash?
Any ideas?

Cheers

Case

Wow... that's an ask and a half I think.

You could perhaps do it partial, with of course candi sugar and Styrian Goldings/Saaz... I'm thinking perhaps some Maris Otter and cara-pils wouldn't go astray either.
Finished with your favourite Belgian Yeast of course...

As for K&K, I wouldn't even try it.

Case,

Just use the lighest malt extract you can find and about 10% candi sugar or dextrose which is required to lighten the body of a Tripel.

You could even use two pale lager kits and add the sugar.

Go for an OG between 1.075 and 1.085 and 25-30 IBUs. If you use kits just compensate the hopping accordingly. This will require boiling the kits if you can, no dump and stir. Maybe 30 mins boil tops. Full wort boil would be even better. This would reduce the darkening of the malt extract.

Yeast is the important part here. Any good Belgian strain would be fine.

Grain or malt extract wise it's a pretty easy beer to make. You want a colour just a shade or two darker than a Pils.

Good luck and enjoy. It's a great style to make. :super:

Warren -

THe short answer to your question is yes.....any why not, its a good idea, why bother with the classic lit styles when you can make something fantastic from it.

As far as boiling kits, i dont think its a good idea as this will mess with the iso hops, but if you want to boil up some extract, and put some syrian hops and finish with somthing nobel...saaz comes to mind

candi sugar is a must, and a belgian yeast will help with the phenolic flavors, and a good fruity esters.

the style guides are a little vague on what you should aim for, i think this is because there are so many varietis of commercial tripple availible,

i would aim for about 1080 and 25 ibu and 4-5 SRM....however color will be hard to match with kits or extract as they are generaly darker, however, color would not be my first concern, get the yeast and hops working and you should be right

Ozbrewer,

Why do you say not to boil kits? Ordinarily I'd agree with you. They're designed for dump and stir.

However I was suggesting this to Case (Sinkas) because he'll require further bitterness via boiling hops. This would be a second course of action if he can't aquire the correct malt extract. Can't really get extra bitterness without boiling "some" of the extract with hops.

From personal experience I've boiled several kits with varying amounts of grain and malt extracts and haven't had any problems out of the ordinary. Can't verify if Iso extracts are affected by boiling. Some surely would survive a boil?

As long as he keeps his boil short (say 30 mins.) can't see any real issues. My line of thinking is that (some) lager kits may be a little lighter in colour than some light malt extracts.

Warren -

my experience is that they do survive a boil, but anything more than 10 minutes and they start to taste pretty horrable

I would be more inclined to boil the additional hops in water, but because of the lower gravity of the water, the extraction rate will be a whole lot higher, at a guess i would think 10-15 mins in water would be similar to 30-40 mins in a 1060 wort......( just a guess, i cant remember how to do the math)

As far as bitterness goes, im not to sure that iso hops can be made any more bitter, though i dont mind being proven wrong, but as i recal the bitterness can actually be boile dout of hops, if they are boiled for to long, agaoin as i recall lambic brewers will boil the hops for ages to get what bitterness out that is left over. and ISO hops have had as much heat treatment as they can take? maybe?

I have a book someware in a box that ent into this into great detail, but i just cant find it.

ozbrewer said:
As far as bitterness goes, im not to sure that iso hops can be made any more bitter, though I dont mind being proven wrong, but as I recall the bitterness can actually be boiled out of hops, if they are boiled for to long, again as i recall lambic brewers will boil the hops for ages to get what bitterness out that is left over. and ISO hops have had as much heat treatment as they can take? maybe?

[post="57598"][/post]​

IIRC, the hops used for lambic are aged so that they have almost no bitterness left in them , nor any flavour or aroma. So why do they use hops at all? Preservative value only.
I've not heard that they boil the guts out of the hop to destroy the bitterness. Try and find your book to check.
I'll consult my book on Belgian beer and get back to you.

...As for a manky taste, that's always possible with kits, but may have more to do with the kit than the boiling.

Apart from that, I'd do a Trippel with light DME added late in the boil, Styrians and Saaz (mmmm, Saaz). Use a good Belgian yeast (I mean your fave Belgian yeast, they're all good!).
I have used a yeast from a Unibroue bottle (La Gaillarde) as it's a clean yeast.

Do U want phenolics?

Seth

Hi all,
Well thankyou for the positive replies, its quite exciting. (keeping in mind that my first brew is still in the fermenter, but really starting to smell like Coopers SA)

SO I would like a little further direction in how to ut this together...all hypothetical for the mean time, if you will all bear with me:

23Liter brew:

Kit: Coopers Pale ale (is this actually a pale lager?)

Addins: 1.5 L extra pale Malt extract

Sugar: 900g dextrose
: 100g Belgian Candy sugar

Boil:15g Styrian 15 g saaz hop pellets in 2 litres of water for 15 min?

Yeast: Wyeast Belgian Ale ( Im not too savvy with yeast culturing, but I do like the KWAK and Hoegaarden Grand Cru Flavours)

What temp should this be brewed at?

Anything here that I have gotten terribly wrong?

Cheers

Case

personaly, i would replace the dextrose with malt, and up the candy sugar to 250gm...for the kit....im sure i have seen a belgian ale kit, but i dont remember the brand..

I don't see what's wrong with chucking 4.5kg of Coopers/Morgans Extra Pale LME in, hitting your 75-85 gravity (or whatever), adding 250-500g candi sugar, an addition of SG at 60, and Saaz at 10 (with some coriander/orange peel/whatever).
Or, you could minimash some MO with that as well... that's a straight swap for Belgian pale malt, apparently.

The WA christmas case had a fantastic belgian strong ale in it, made by deebee. This was an all extract beer, and was wonderful.

Get a good yeast with decent attenuation, aerate well, and the style forgives a bit of residual sweetness. Maybe if you ask deebee he might post the recipie.

Make up the Lager kit to 15L, boil some extract & light brown sugar with Styrian Goldings hops and away you go

Jovial Monk

Dunkel_Boy said:
I don't see what's wrong with chucking 4.5kg of Coopers/Morgans Extra Pale LME in, hitting your 75-85 gravity (or whatever), adding 250-500g candi sugar, an addition of SG at 60, and Saaz at 10 (with some coriander/orange peel/whatever).
Or, you could minimash some MO with that as well... that's a straight swap for Belgian pale malt, apparently.
[post="57654"][/post]​

I don't see anything wrong with it, apart from having to leave it for some time b4 u can drink it.
But, mmmmmmmmmmmm! :beer:
BTW the recipe sounds like a reasonable facsimile.
Shame that no-one does a decent fresh Belgian-style ale in this country, or do they?

Maybe I should... for Paddy's comp?

Seth :p

Coincidentally, I had a bottle last night and this beer is getting good now about 6 months old...

Blunt Instrument Ale

Brew day: 2.11.2004 1.070
Racked: 16.11.2004 1.014
Bottled: 28.11.2004 1.013
ABV: approx. 7.5%
Pitching temp: 24C
Brewing temp: 19-22C

2kg DME
1.5kg liquid wheat malt extract
250g Thomas Fawcett crystal rye
750g dextrose
250g Demerara sugar
1/3 tablet of whirlfloc

Wyeast 3787 Trappist high gravity yeast

Added on day3:
350g DME
410g can of cherries

Hops additions
Minutes Grams IBU

Northern Brewer 60 26 25
Hallertauer-hallertau 15 30 7
Hallertauer-hallertau 5 33 3

I wouldn't use the crystal rye again, but I had it there and couldn't think of anything else to put it in. Someone else might suggest a better crystal malt.

Back