Positioning Heating Element in Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spamisnotham

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 18.8 amp 4500v heating element that I am installing into a 57 litre boiler.

Question- is their any best placement for the element?

Will placing the element at 75mm from the bottom be any better or worse then the same element at 150mm or 250mm?

Cheers

I put mine as low as possible, my theory is, heat rises. Convection currents should keep the liquid circulating, and turning over.

Maybe leave a bit (say 3-4cm) so if/when you whirlpool there is a bit of space at the bottom to help it settle?

One of my pots, I put the element a bit too high and its a pain as it takes longer when I drain the mash before I can turn the element on.

Normal practice in electric kettles is 1/3 of the full heated volume height. There are significant thermal currents in play and you need to allow room for those to naturally form below the elements. I hope that element is 4500 watts not volts though!

Oh, I hope its 4500 volts! He'll have those little water molecules shaking in their boots just thinking about what's gonna happen when he throws the breaker.

Latest posts

Back