Porter, Very High Krausen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a week of sitting in the keg at 19 degrees I read somewhere that the CO2 that you put on top of the beer will be absorbed. When I read this I was worried about oxygenating my brew so I put it in the kegerator and connected the gas and beer lines (Pouring pressure). It's now been sitting there for seven days so i decided to try a small sample tonight. OMG is this good or what! This has to be the best beer I've ever bottled or kegged. The carbonation is good, the head is smooth and creamy and the porter tastes like liquid gold! I will definitely brew this again.

One question. At room temp the head of CO2 I put on top of the beer would be absorbed but would oxygenation have occurred if I'd left it for two weeks as I planned?

Hiya - good news that the beer turned out so good. Makes the wait worthwhile.

The CO2 will only be absorbed if it is under pressure - CO2 is heavier than air, so if you left it for that two weeks (in the fermenter I assume?) you would likely be fine, as long as you didn't disturb the inside of the fermenter too much.

HTH.

Edit - I just re-read your post - in the keg, not the fermenter..same/same. Just make sure, next time you pressurise the keg that you "burp" it after you've gassed it.

I burped it about 4-5 times with the CO2 attached to the gas post. When I connected it up to the system to presurise there was some intake of CO2 but not much. Thanks for the feedback which is all part of the learning curve for me.

You won't 'hear' the gas going in for very long with a full keg because the headspace is small. However, it will still be absorbed over a period of time. Usually a week or so on serving pressure to achieve full carbonation at whatever pressure it's at.

Hi Holden4th.
Re your yeast pitching routine... no need to attempt to oxygenate dried yeast. Just rehydrate exactly as per Lallemand instructions and pitch. All energy reserves are contained within the dried yeast. You MUST oxygenate if repitching that yeast.
tdh

Latest posts

Back