Porter Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowy

Drinker of Kegs, Slayer of Fish & Ruiner of Good F
Reaction score
Gents,
I've been thinking of doing a Porter and have come up with this. Your comments would be appreciated.

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 19.3 (EBC): 38.0
Bitterness (IBU): 30.4 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

4kg Perle Malt
.300gms Chocolate, Pale
.250gms Caraaroma
.250gms Oat Malt
.200gms Melanoidin

10gms Northern Brewer (Ger T45) (15% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)
30gms East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

4gms Brewbrite @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18C with Danstar Nottingham

Hey mate, looks tasty.

If your shooting for a Brown Porter id up the Mash temp a bit more (loose some alc in the process) and wind up with a more lush mouthfeel and creaminess. Or else cram some more dark choc malt (as much as the pale choc again) and make it robust!

Hey mate, looks tasty.

If your shooting for a Brown Porter id up the Mash temp a bit more (loose some alc in the process) and wind up with a more lush mouthfeel and creaminess. Or else cram some more dark choc malt (as much as the pale choc again) and make it robust!

Thanks Sim I'll up the mash temp to 68.

Personally I wouldn't be upping the mash temp 66c is fine.
I too would be adding some dark choc as well, but it really depends on what you're trying to achieve flavour wise.

cheers Ross

more lush mouthfeel and creaminess.

Rather than upping your Mash temp, why not add some golden oats to complement those malted oats...
Would give you a velvety mouthfeel...

Rather than upping your Mash temp, why not add some golden oats to complement those malted oats...
Would give you a velvety mouthfeel...

First Porter so I'll give both the straight chocolate and the golden oas a crack. Why not.............I'll tack back a bit on the caraaroma.

Let us know what you think when you :icon_drunk:

Let us know what you think when you :icon_drunk:

Will do Sim. I'm using 300gms oats half malt & half golden. Choc 300 half pale & half full and 250 Caraaroma. Sticking with 100 melanoidin. Will keep you in the loop :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back