Porter Recipe Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deebo

Reaction score
I have so far only made lagers and pale ales pretty much and now figure I will give the dark side a shot.

I plan to use jw export pils, crystal, chocolate and possibly roasted barley but the only hops I currently have are:
cascade, centennial, galaxy, hallertau and nelson sauvin.

Can anyone recommend a recipe using some or all of those grains / hops? (I know I should probably get some goldings or fuggles but want to brew this weekend and dont have time)

I have so far only made lagers and pale ales pretty much and now figure I will give the dark side a shot.

I plan to use jw export pils, crystal, chocolate and possibly roasted barley but the only hops I currently have are:

Can anyone recommend a recipe using some or all of those grains / hops? (I know I should probably get some goldings or fuggles but want to brew this weekend and dont have time)

The Americans seem to try centennial and cascade in just about anything. I quite like american brown ales which often include these hops. They definitely would not be out of place in this style or an american amber ale. You would just want to use much less choc and skip the roasted barley.
I have not tried either in a porter or a stout though. As my name might suggest I am hardly an expert so take my advice with a grain of salt:)

what about

OG around 1050
IBU about 35

85% jw pils
10% crystal
5% Choc

50/50 split of galaxy and cascade at 60 to 25 ibu
1 gram per L 50/50 split cascade and galaxy at 10

ferment with your choice of ale yeast

Call it a new world Porter

Are you thinking brownish porter or blackish (stout) porter?
Either way, you dont need to worry about hops. Hop character is very low in both styles. All up front, just for the IBU.

If you are making a brown porter you need brown malt and you need a dark crystal, otherwise you end up with a beer that looks like porter, but does not taste like it.

I'm with you there beefy. I've got a brown porter on the go at the moment. It is very simple. 90% optic, 10% pale choc. bittered with super pride to 25 ibu and fermented with 1469. Surprisingly nice.

This is what I was thinking so far, not sure if its a porter, is anything really out of balance? (I am no chilling so bitterness will be slightly higher)

Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 51.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 27.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.1 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) ( Grain 1 81.8 %
0.50 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 2 9.1 %
0.25 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 3 4.5 %
0.25 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC) Grain 4 4.5 %
15.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 8.1 IBUs
15.00 g Galaxy [13.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 19.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 7 -

Hey, not sure if you've seen or tried Yeastie Boys 'Pot Kettle Black', but its a self described hoppy porter...PKB

I have seen a recipe that uses Cascade (albeit NZ) and Nelson Sauvin along with Pale Malt (you could use the Pilsner), Crystal, Pale Choc and Black Patent.

Im sure you could whip something up pretty tasty with the grain and hops you have mate.

I like the idea that 'mayor of mildura' is suggesting...but could flick some NS in there too.

Just thought I would update this thread if anyone else is thinking of making a porter this is what I went with and I am really impressed. (I really like the speights old dark 5 malt ale from NZ but I reckon I enjoy this even more and its not even carbed yet)

I was a bit worried about the choice of hops but turned out really nice.. I did accidentaly drop a blue plastic peg into the mash, maybe that made all the difference..

Recipe: Clothes Peg Porter (BIAB No 11)
Style: Brown Porter
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 32.79 l
Post Boil Volume: 29.11 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 51.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.7 IBUs