Porter or Vanilla Portet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwiftyS

Reaction score
Hey guys first time post. I just did a Porter which tasted great and looks like its going to be really nice 7.9 percent ABV. My question is i really like the sound of Vanilla Porters but I never tasted one or made one before. I'm new to HB and wanted people's opinion and knowledge on adding Vanilla to my Porter. Thanks for any help or opinions cheers SwiftyS

First thing you need to do is go buy a few different vanilla porters, taste them and make sure you like them.. if you do, then it can be as simple as making a tincture with vodka (I prefer spiced rum) and split vanilla beans OR the spirit essence they sell in homebrew shops. How strong you want it depends completely on your preference, that's why you need to taste a few different ones to work out what sort of intensity you prefer.

This might also help as a starting point - https://learn.kegerator.com/brewing-vanilla-porter/

First thing you need to do is go buy a few different vanilla porters, taste them and make sure you like them.. if you do, then it can be as simple as making a tincture with vodka (I prefer spiced rum) and split vanilla beans OR the spirit essence they sell in homebrew shops. How strong you want it depends completely on your preference, that's why you need to taste a few different ones to work out what sort of intensity you prefer.

This might also help as a starting point - https://learn.kegerator.com/brewing-vanilla-porter/

Hey thanks for the response and your link was exactly what i needed it answered all my questions. Now for my field research into Vanilla Porters haha love this HB caper. Again thanks for such a great reply. Cheers Sean

Have made a dark ale, don't think it was technically a porter, using vanilla bean paste mixed in vodka for the vanilla flavour. That seemed to work quite well, vanilla flavour was quite strong to begin with but mellowed nicely with a little age.

Ive made a few porters and then went down that additional flavour route.

Base beer was 5.6%, bittered to 35ibu with Chinook at 60mins only.

For a 19L batch i used 2 vanilla beans into secondary, perfect amount

For a 19L batch i used 150g of cocoa nibs into secondary, perfect amount.

Ultimately the base beer is the key to seeing the additional flavours play well.

Back