Portable single keg set-up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BDC said:
Just started on my own build for a camping trip next weekend. Bought two 50mm extruded polystyrene boards from bunnies and will cut glue and silicon them together then wrap with corflfute then silver wrap. I'll share as I go.

Project stalled due to the hot wire cutter I threw together has already chewed through all of my spare guitar strings and I haven't even completed my first cut yet :grrrr:

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1454061068.013905.jpg

Grab some Nichrome wire for the cutter. Jaycar should have some. If required you can double/triple and twist.

I made a perspex bender to make a boat windscreen as to get one made up cost a fortune.

Mr B said:
Grab some Nichrome wire for the cutter. Jaycar should have some.
Roger that. Thanks Mr B. I went and picked some up yesterday.

Mr B said:
If required you can double/triple and twist.
Great tip. I already broke two short lengths of Nichrome. This might help.

One thing I'm not sure about is how much tension I need to apply to the wire. Seems pretty taut but obviously loosens once heated. Bends quite a bit when I push the stock through. That's generally when it breaks. Hopefully the twisting tip will help there!

BDC said:
Roger that. Thanks Mr B. I went and picked some up yesterday.

Great tip. I already broke two short lengths of Nichrome. This might help.

One thing I'm not sure about is how much tension I need to apply to the wire. Seems pretty taut but obviously loosens once heated. Bends quite a bit when I push the stock through. That's generally when it breaks. Hopefully the twisting tip will help there!

Ahh, yep didnt notice - Helps to put a spring on one end to take up the slack when it heats up. Suggest going slow and let the heat/wire do the cutting.

There are charts 'on the net' which give ideal temps for cutting various materials. Then you can look up what voltage you need to get that temp based on your wire length and diameter. Edit - or what wire length you need based on your voltage supply etc.

Soz, dont have any links, but I nerded up on it all when i made the bender.

Thanks Mr B. I've just been nerdish out myself on it. Found a few good resources. I'll share the links when I'm at a computer. Had a few late nights but finally I have an operational porta-kegerator.

I didn't take many photos during the build (having foam glue on my hands didn't make them phone friendly).

Meet "Ned":
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1454446818.809114.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1454446701.177654.jpg

Basic construction was to build a bottom box and top box (lid) from foam (I used 50mm Knauf XPS from Bunnies) joined together using Sika "foam glue". With the bottom box, which will take the weight of the keg, I added another 50mm of expanding foam at the bottom and up the corners, then used some light duty house insulation and more foam glue to fix a round section of insulation inside. Outside I used sheets of corflute and bucket loads of gaffer and cloth tape, followed by another layer of the house insulation. To cut the holes for the tap I used a 15mm (inner diameter) pipe heated up with a butane torch.

Not the best photos or instructions, I know. I'm on 3 hours sleep and writing from my phone.

I also started on Ned's little brother "Terry" who will take a spare keg lying down (no taps or anything, just room for one 19L corny and ice). Looking very rough right now. He's a work in progress.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1454447279.927049.jpg

Mr B said:
Nice one. The Sika foam glue looks like handy stuff..
Handy, yes. Messy....? YES!!!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1454493412.509959.jpg

Definitely recommend reading the instructions :)

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1454493446.344328.jpg

Also... the foam / glue comes out for a good minute or two once you're done. You want somewhere safe to put it to save yourself a big cleanup.

A shot of Ned with his helmet lifted

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1454505650.717552.jpg

And finished his little brother Terry who will mind Ned's spare keg while the first is emptied.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1454505703.315341.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1454505724.482097.jpg

Quick update:

Ned and Terry did a stellar job keeping two 19L kegs of Hard Yards Golden Ale (delicious stuff) cold and flowing despite high daytime temps in Brindabella National Park over 4 days. Although they needed a bit of a rest after the bumpy ride down.

The boys thoroughly enjoyed it, as they should.

I need to find a better way to gas it up - I broke one mini-reg and the backup mini-gun thingy was a pain and was leaky. I went through a few 16g cartridges. Apparently Keg King are bringing out a new / improved mini reg soon. Or I might go the soda-stream route.

I'll add a pic or two of Ned on the road when I get a chance.

BDC

Ive got my little 400g bottle for away from home setups.
good for dispensing 4-8 kegs (if you remove the gas when you only have a few litres left, you get more use out of it)

crowmanz said:
Thanks Crowmanz - I'll keep an eye on that thread. Looks very promising. I reckon this is what Kee at KegKing is looking to get on the books after terrible feedback on the existing unit. If so it will be interesting to see how they price it. I've got time on my side at the moment. SWMBO won't be letting me run off camping again any time soon.

I have set up what was essentially a bin with ice and foam collars to sit on the ice around a corny, thus keeping the ice a little longer without needing to fill the bin. This was only for an afternoon though, how have others found carbonation levels with something similar for a longer period of time, a weekend camping for example? Do you lose any because the too of the keg isn't surrounded by ice?

Back