Portable Induction Stove

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzer

Reaction score
Hey,

Ebay Link - Induction Hot Plate

Just wondering if anyone has tried these portable induction hot plates? They have 2000w, I've only got 19l pots at the moment so I'm thinking though it may be a bit slow it should get a boil..?

Guess it's hard to know, if anyone has any experience please let me know

Hey,

Ebay Link - Induction Hot Plate

Just wondering if anyone has tried these portable induction hot plates? They have 2000w, I've only got 19l pots at the moment so I'm thinking though it may be a bit slow it should get a boil..?

Guess it's hard to know, if anyone has any experience please let me know

Does a magnet stick to you 19L pot?, if not the induction cooker wont work.

QldKev

Does a magnet stick to you 19L pot?, if not the induction cooker wont work.

QldKev

mmmm good question, wont be able to try until I get home from work. But if it does would it have the 'oomph' I need?

That is a good way to test it. However, they do work for Stainless Steel but what I could never understand is if a magnet don't stick to SS then how does a SS pot work on an induction cooktop?... I just put it down to there must be some magnetic quality in the pot. Albeit I have never actually tried it either.

I remember when I first moved in my place and it has an Induction cooktop I was trying to cook caryfish in an aluminium pot and wondered why the pot kept cutting in an out. No way I could get it to a boil.

Sorry for going slightly :icon_offtopic:

Well a magnet sticks to my current stock pot, so I assume it will work. Has anyone tried the big w 20l stockpot on induction? Or with a magnet?

Well a magnet sticks to my current stock pot, so I assume it will work. Has anyone tried the big w 20l stockpot on induction? Or with a magnet?

Haven't tried with a magnet (and not currently at home to) nevertheless, I have no problems whatsoever getting a good boil with the 20L Big W pot on the induction cooktop.

That is a good way to test it. However, they do work for Stainless Steel but what I could never understand is if a magnet don't stick to SS then how does a SS pot work on an induction cooktop?...

There are multiple modes of inductive heating. Different classes of metals can be heated via different physical methods, with different efficiencies. For metals that are really poor at inductive heating in any manner, the base is usually clad with a metal that is efficient, and acts as a heat spreader at the same time.

Well my stock pot does have a magnet stick to it. Though it's only 7litres, with which I will probably only be heating 5litres of water.

Will a 1500w portable hot plate work? Or will it be to weak to boil the water?
Should I stick with the 2000w induction cooktop? Both seem to have the same size heat section around 17.5 cms

We've recently renovated out kitchen, and due to a gas leak in the mains, had to go with something electric. There was no way we were going to go with a traditional electric cooktop, on account of them being crap. So I decided to fork out the extra and go with induction (I stovetop biab).

I was a bit worried about the power, with big volumes of water, but I can tell you it's not an issue. Bear in mind the cook top I went with, the burners, or hobs are 2300 watt each. They can also 'power boost' to 3200 watt. Here's a link to the one I went with, its electolux:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Electrolux-EHD9...e-/290754112652

For the record, the Big W pots do work on induction. And a single burner will bring it up to boil, when full, from 20 odd degrees in about half an hour. That's with the boost on. Easily keeps it at a boil, on 8/10 power, with boost off after achieving a boil.

I read on another forum, before I bought the cooktop, that the cheap ebay portable ones (2000 watt or thereabouts) are just gutsy enough for 5 gallons, or 20 litres.

This particular electrolux cooktop has a function whereby you can place large pots over 2 cooking zones. I have a 32 litre pot that I also use for biab, and 2 elements on 8/10 have no problems bringing that volume to a boil in a reasonable amount of time.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the purchase. Very happy even. The lack of information on the net about brewing on induction had me really worried, but it's all good. For the record, my 32 litre pot is a 2 dollar shop special, thin as. Cost like 40 bucks. Magnets do stick to it though.

Oh and btw no affiliation with electrolux, just a happy customer.

Latest posts

Back