Portable Cooler For Party Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roach

brasserie de cancrelat
Reaction score
was thinking of ways to keep my 3 gall keg cold in a take away environment, and stumbled upon this is the latest kmart catalogue. if the size if right then it should be perfect, just put the keg in, fill up with ice, attach a picnic tap and compensator to dial down to pouring pressure. Happy days :chug:

cooler.jpg

Roach,

Might get two of the lil' darlings in there !!! ()()
Go the 3 gall !!!!!

Cheers
JSB

Good find Roach , let us know how it goes , if it's OK for size I'll grab a couple

Cheers batz

I'd make sure they're waterproof before buying...

I'd imagine that if you fill it up with all ice, the beer may be too cold - so you *may* use half water half ice ... which could get messy if it's anything like the little cooler bags I have.

Even if the ice just melts, you'd want it to be fully waterproof

I put mine in a square esky packed with ice now , works well but not a great fit , and I can close the lid

Batz

thanks for the tip Boots. I figure if it is designed to hold 100 cans on ice then it would be OK for a session with a 3 gall keg. I see your point about being pretty cold, but i reckon it would be ideal for a summer session with my lawnmower ale. i go camping a fair bit and so i would have it sitting outside on the grass, which is no biggie if there is leakage.

batz and boots - i'll let you know how it goes.

just tested the compensator on a very short line(just enuf to join the liquid QD to the compensator then the tap) with a picnic tap on a 3 gall keg and worked a treat. well carbonated but little foam :D So should be sweet for a take away.

just had a thought. maybe if the size is OK it could also double as a fermentation chiller - just put in frozen milk bottles and change them daily

any thoughts?

roach, sounds like a good idea to me, that is of course if the fermenter will fit it, I am going to go to k-mart later tonight to have a look. My fermenter is about 37cms wide and 47cms tall (very loosly measured)

roach said:
just had a thought. maybe if the size is OK it could also double as a fermentation chiller - just put in frozen milk bottles and change them daily

any thoughts?
Now that is an interesting idea! I can only temp control one fermenter so once you brew a lager the brewery is severly bottlenecked. If they fit a 30L fermenter post back and let us know, 100 cans is a bit so it should be close.

JasonY said:
If they fit a 30L fermenter post back and let us know, 100 cans is a bit so it should be close.
the sale starts 2morow - no rainchecks - so will check it out first thing and post

pic of cooler with fermenter inside - just need a low profile airlock and it just fits. enough room for frozen milk bottles

cooler4.jpg

now with a 3gall keg - can fit 2 of em in. or 1 and a gas bottle

cooler3.jpg

here with the top down - closes with a velcro tab

cooler1.jpg

packed away after use. will use it after christmas

cooler5.jpg

Cool (pun intended). Well researched Mr Roach. Wonder if sales figures will oddly increase at K Mart tomorrow.

thanks GL - now where can i get a low profile airlock - the standard one is too high.

Looks great, I was in kmart today and couldn't see any :( assume they should be with the eskys & camping stuff.

yes they were around the bbqs and eskys.

Just use a blow off tube roach - could use some thinner racking hose with the other end sitting in a bowl of Ortho / sanitiser outside the cooler.

Nice work

Back