Portable / Camping Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRat

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i know there is already a thread (or two) on this subject and i have previously read them which is why i am now in this situation.

I purchased 2 x 9lt Keg King Kegs (the Chinese ones) and my intention was to fit these inside an esky and with 2 taps mounted on the front of the esky and run gas through a soda-stream bottle.

My issue is, i cant find an esky that will fit both kegs comfortably - to be exact i cant find one heigh enough for the keg + disconnect which is around 39cm tall.

Does anyone else use the same/similar setup or have any ideas as to how i could do this?

My goal was to use an esky with wheels but so far the 2 i have tried (Aldi and Kmart) have all been to small height wise.

As always, suggestions and comments would be much appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

BlackRat.

My mate has a techni-ice esky that fits two 9L corny's and he's mounted a font into the lid. Not sure what size sorry but can find out pretty quick...

If that fails there is always the 300mm irrigation pipe approach.

http://www.techniice.com

Not sure on the inner dimensions. I've seen someone use one of these on the side for a keg system...

... tried to find the thread... couldn't... so here are the images... think laterally... literally :)

beer_box1.jpgbeer_box_2.JPG
Beer_Box_3.jpgBeer_Box_4.jpg

Thanks for the replies so far.

I understand there are ways to make a 19lt keg setup, however i am interested in a 2 x 9lt keg setup so its mobile enough to be used for BBQ's, camping, christmas, etc.

Has anyone got the keg King 9lt kegs in use?

BlackRat

Thanks for the replies so far.

I understand there are ways to make a 19lt keg setup, however i am interested in a 2 x 9lt keg setup so its mobile enough to be used for BBQ's, camping, christmas, etc.

Has anyone got the keg King 9lt kegs in use?

BlackRat

look at the different sizes and choose the one that suits, you can buy a 1,000 litre esky if you want

i settled on a 200 litre, put some wheels on it, 4 taps and it fits an assortment of 9 litre and 23 litre kegs, around 100 litres of beer if need be, ice packs, soda stream bottle and even room for a small goat

a.JPG

b.JPG

Outermark 150L

That should do the trick its should be deep enough. They have smaller ones that are tall as well so you would be able to find what your looking for. A little expensive but they are good quality.

Your other alternative is to do what I do and have a cooling vessel for each 9L keg. These are only 30 bucks a pop from bunnings. Then you can just have either a keg charger or sodastream bottle + regulator and squirt a little c02 into each one for serving when needed.

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

These are just my mobile setups, I also have a 50L waeco fridge in the back of my 4wd that fits in a 9L keg just perfectly (with some space around for food & SWMBO's vino). Yes, even my car has beer on tap :kooi:

Your other alternative is to do what I do and have a cooling vessel for each 9L keg. These are only 30 bucks a pop from bunnings. Then you can just have either a keg charger or sodastream bottle + regulator and squirt a little c02 into each one for serving when needed.

View attachment 59455

View attachment 59454

These are just my mobile setups, I also have a 50L waeco fridge in the back of my 4wd that fits in a 9L keg just perfectly (with some space around for food & SWMBO's vino). Yes, even my car has beer on tap :kooi:

Thanks PH, I was toying with this idea but didnt know how to dispense the beer...do you use a Bronco type tap or a Keg Faucet Assembly?

Would the Keg Faucet Assembly work with my Perlick flow's?

If you use a keg charger can you overcharge the keg if you leave it with "drunk" people?

Once again, thanks fro tall the help.

BlackRat.

bar2.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

50mm coolroom foam and some aluminium ...ice lasts for a few days

C'mon now Hoyt, enough of you showing off. :rolleyes:

ps: Where are you planning on camping over xmas? :D

BlackRat said:
Thanks PH, I was toying with this idea but didnt know how to dispense the beer...do you use a Bronco type tap or a Keg Faucet Assembly?

If you use a keg charger can you overcharge the keg if you leave it with "drunk" people?

Once again, thanks fro tall the help.

BlackRat.

Yep, just a cheap bronco tap & hose does the job.

Not sure about your second question, give Ross or your LHBS a call.

re: overcharging with the keg charger, yeah if the keg is full and you oversqueeze it will end up gushing foam. By the time it's down to 3/4 full and beyond it will be more forgiving and all you'll do is waste gas. I think it was covered in a thread the other day that the best way to avoid misuse by drunkards is keep the damn thing in your pocket and only come over to give it a quick squirt when they complain there's no more beer coming out. :)

But then sodastream + adapter + regulator set on a trickle and you dont have this problem, and it's far more economical in the long run than buying those little c02 canisters.

Holy crap part II.
That's a sweet set up!

I haved been thinking about this one for while and have decided to go down the path of a reasonably small good esky with a chill plate. That way I can just chill the beer I dtink rather than the whole keg, which when on a long camp makes sense to me rather than keep buying bags of ice. I think these are better for camping, IMHO.
Hopefully have it up and running soon.

Fear

In saying all of that, the one thing I've learnt from numerous camping trips away is sometimes smaller is actually better.

Dont get me wrong kegs are fkn great when you're going away for a short time (eg a weekend or 3 nights) and there's plenty of mates there to help you empty them, but go on any longer adventures and when it's only a few of you, and you'll wish you had bottles or cans. Two reasons, 1) in hot weather bags of ice only last so long and they become expensive / inconvenient to replenish. 2) if you have a fridge or esky that has to hold 5+ days of food, you dont want most of that space taken up by a half empty keg. For this reason I bought a cpbf and now on long trips away with just the missus i'll be taking a crate full of bottles rather than kegs. This also goes for bottles of soft drink, juice and milk. Buy cans and poppers instead.

Hi everyone, i know there is already a thread (or two) on this subject and i have previously read them which is why i am now in this situation.

I purchased 2 x 9lt Keg King Kegs (the Chinese ones) and my intention was to fit these inside an esky and with 2 taps mounted on the front of the esky and run gas through a soda-stream bottle.

My issue is, i cant find an esky that will fit both kegs comfortably - to be exact i cant find one heigh enough for the keg + disconnect which is around 39cm tall.

Does anyone else use the same/similar setup or have any ideas as to how i could do this?

My goal was to use an esky with wheels but so far the 2 i have tried (Aldi and Kmart) have all been to small height wise.

As always, suggestions and comments would be much appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

BlackRat.

Btw,measure the internal area on a techniice 100L. 38dx58wx45h

So 45cm high

bar2.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

I'm so jealous Hoyt... I'm taking a chesty away this jan, in a regular trailer. How long do you find it takes the kegs to settle down after a couple hundred k's of bouncing?

Can you pour beer on the first night at camp? or does it take overnight for them to settle?

cheers

I'm so jealous Hoyt... I'm taking a chesty away this jan, in a regular trailer. How long do you find it takes the kegs to settle down after a couple hundred k's of bouncing?

Can you pour beer on the first night at camp? or does it take overnight for them to settle?

cheers

Last time I went away we pulled and vented the kegs incase of any pressure buildup then turned the gas on and had a cold schooner while we setup ...

bar2.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

That's an amazing setup Hoyt!

Must have taken a while to plan that out and then build?

The assembly works with normal perlicks (525) but unfortunately not with the flow controls. Reason being is that the ball which regulates the flow is to big to fit into the smallish shank of the assembly. Well, it just fits in but it blocks any flow.
Found out the hard way at club night at ANHC this year, fortunately someone had a bronco I could borrow.

Look, I haven't tried it since and there is the tiniest chance that my mind was a bit hazy after three days of senseless drinking conference and related activities, but I'm pretty sure that it won't work.

Happy to try it out a bit later if that helps.

Apart from that I found that the assembly works exceptionally well with a few of these.

Note that in the picture the regulator is sitting at about 100 kpa and four of those thingies sitting in the dip tube. Perfect pour and perfect head with literally no beer line to reduce the flow rate.

mobile_setup_flow_restrictor.jpg

The assembly works with normal perlicks (525) but unfortunately not with the flow controls. Reason being is that the ball which regulates the flow is to big to fit into the smallish shank of the assembly. Well, it just fits in but it blocks any flow.
Found out the hard way at club night at ANHC this year, fortunately someone had a bronco I could borrow.

Look, I haven't tried it since and there is the tiniest chance that my mind was a bit hazy after three days of senseless drinking conference and related activities, but I'm pretty sure that it won't work.

Happy to try it out a bit later if that helps.

Apart from that I found that the assembly works exceptionally well with a few of these.

Note that in the picture the regulator is sitting at about 100 kpa and four of those thingies sitting in the dip tube. Perfect pour and perfect head with literally no beer line to reduce the flow rate.

View attachment 59463

Interesting, the picnic tap assemblies do work with the flow control retrofits
Flowcontrol.jpg

I have 4 of these, and 4 non-flow control perlicks. I'm looking forward to replacing them one day with full stainless 545s (if perlick ever brings them out), but it'd be a shame to decommision the flow controllers...

but they do work great with the picnic adapters

Back