Portable Birko Element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citizensnips

Reaction score
I was given this Birko element from a mate that has likely not been used for probably 4 years or so.

Not being an electric brewer myself and knowing little about these, is there any method for cleaning/reviving this?

Not that it looks damaged but for lack of a better description it just looks a little beaten up.

Are there risks with using old elements? Any advise would be appreciated. Considering it’s sitting here, I figure why not use it and speed up some of my brew day processes.

Cheers

IMG_1841.JPG

I doubt it'd be worth the effort and risk of not knowing how it's been treated in the past, OTS Immersion Elements aren't too expensive when new

I assume that's a 3 prong plug unit so has an earth ?

i have an older version of a birko OTS with bakel-a-lite type plastic for a handle. i use it to help speed up getting to the boil and then remove.
I like it but also consider it a higher risk tool.

yours should have a mark on the element "keep immersed below here" type of mark.

I just check it's earth, "not earth leaking etc", check my electric safety switch on the brew shed each brew day. I check all my brew gear on brew days anyway.

If you gas firing then you need to consider how not to melt it with hot gasses / flames

If you have a sparky mate, ask them if they can do a megger test to check for earth leakage
if it comes back fine, you should be fine to go
Otherwise I'd just clamp it to the side of a pot with hot water and sod perc in it, filled to just below the max depth mark on the element
Flick it on and stand back
If it goes fzzzzt, turn it off at the wall and unplug it before emptying the pot

Fair call.

From the sounds of it I'll see how my step up times are on the new kettle and if I decide I need one I'll probably just go the $70 route for a new one of eBay.

Thanks lads

For the record this thing is fully functional and cleaned up pretty nice with a hot pbw bath. I've been trying to figure out what it's made from and have so far come across something similar like this http://www.vanorm.com/black-heating-element.html made from SUS316 o_O as well as elements such as this https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...-small-nichrome-wire-heating_60452319398.html made from nichrome.

If anyone can enlighten me on the safety of either material that would be appreciated, nonetheless I'll assume it's safe if it's made from Birko and keep on using it.
element.jpg

Back