Pork Rolls (bnh M)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfy

Reaction score
Pork Rolls (or Bnh m - which really just means bread but has now been applied to Pork Rolls) make a great snack and we usually grab some whenever we shop anywhere that sells them. The best are usually found in shops in Asian communities (Springvale, Footscray, Richmond in Melb or Bankstown, Marrickville, Cabramatta in Syd) and often at Vietnamese bakeries. Our favorites of all those places are found inside Springvale Shopping Center (Buckingham Ave) opposite the butcher and next to the fruit and veg shop. Typically (here in Australia) as the name suggests, the rolls are filled with various kinds of cold pork meat, but chicken and other fillings can also be found depending on where you shop.

The usual meat fillings for the rolls we buy include (from the deli-section of the Asian supermarket) Red Pork, Jumbon Ham (jelly-meat), Pork Roll (white-processed pork) and ham, SWMBO likes to add BBQ chicken-breast to hers. Cucumber, carrot and coriander (cilantro) leaves and optional additions of spring-onions and bird's eye chilli are the most commonly found accompaniments. The rolls are usually 'buttered' with pork liver pt, and home-made mayonnaise and then topped with fish and/or soy sauce.

Rather than buy them today I thought I'd make some of my own:
porkroll.jpg

Margarine and bottle-mayo substituted for pt and home-made mayonnaise, and fresh carrot instead of pickled - but they still turned out rather nice.
Cost was about $10 for 6 so it's not really any cheaper than buying them pre-made.

Had one for lunch today from the little Sushi bar at Essendon Fields (it's multi-cultural).

They add pork crackling, broken up, in theirs. The inclusion of the crackle's texture and crunch, along with the added saltiness, is inspired.

You are making me homesick for Marrickville.

I am not a fan of the inch thick jelly mayo that you sometimes get, but cilentro and chilli are what makes these things awesome for me... except sometimes I have one for breakfast and the chill dose makes a hot coffee undrinkable.

i moved out of springvale for a year. this is what i missed the most. $3.50 pork roll

extra chilli please

oh you velly strong boy

yes, yes i am.

my favorite is from the bakery in springvale south shopping center. of course i avoid springvale central like the plague so don't have much to compare it with. plus, i can walk there.

thanks for the post Wolfy. made me hungry

Lived in Mordialloc for a year up until last month, and the roast pork rolls at the bakery on main street (up near the bike shop) are awesome.

Roast pork with crackling, chili and no onion (can't stand it!). I've gone back a few times during the move and had a sneaky roll on my way home.

No way near the genuine thing on the streets of Hoi An, but delicious none the less.

All I want now is a Banh Mi Opla now Wolfy :icon_drool2:

No fish sauce, Wolfy?

Did you pickle the carrot? You don't need to do it for long and it makes a big difference.

At work (just off victoria st richmond) they are in fact know colloquially as three fiddies.

I've lived 200 yards away from vietnamese restaurant central on Vic st for the last 20years..... I've eaten a shitlod of these thing and they're the best value "sandwich" in town. How normal shops can get away with charging $7 for a crappy salad sandwich is beyond me.

Hell, we were all mildly outraged when they stopped giving you a free can of soft drink with your $3.50 pork roll... that was only a year or two ago.

Always extra pate, chilli and most times its either a meatball or a plain old mixed ham roll.

I ain't givin' you no tree-fitty, you goddamn Loch Ness Monster!

I've lived 200 yards away from vietnamese restaurant central on Vic st for the last 20years..... I've eaten a shitlod of these thing and they're the best value "sandwich" in town. How normal shops can get away with charging $7 for a crappy salad sandwich is beyond me.

This is the only thing i miss about moving from Abbotsford back to Thornbury. I have however inherited the best charcoal chicken shop on the planet. You get a half chicken which is always ultra moist, enough chips to feed a family of 4 and equally as much salad for a mere $9.90. B)

I know what im having for dinner tonight.

Well it was about that time that I notice that girl scout was about eight stories tall and was a crustacean from the Paleozoic era

$3.50 each at our favorite shop in Springvale ... or make it at home:

porkroll2_zpsb4519f72.jpg

4x cold meat, cucumber, fresh coriander, a home grown (last year) thai chili, and some mayo and soy sauce.
This time with some lightly pickled carrot and red onion:
pickledcarrot_zps81a6a947.jpg

I lived on those things when I worked in Fortitude Valley Bris - From 2003 to 2008 they were stubbornly $3 :)
I don't normally associate Vietnamese with large breasts, but the woman there had cleavage like you wouldn't believe.

Then the Viet Bakery was forced out of business when the lease ran out and Red ******* Rooster moved in after gazumping them on the rent. :(

Where do you buy those specialty meat rolls - do you have to go to an Asian grocery? Might hunt around when I go to Newcastle, been hungering for some of those lately.

I love these things. I got my wife onto them about 4 years ago, she was a bit hesitant to have the pate at first but now she is addicted to them and eats about 3 a week. We go to our little Viet bakery in windsor, (not Ntran) down near Orange Cafe. They cost $4.50 but are one of the best I have ever had.

I love these things. I got my wife onto them about 4 years ago, she was a bit hesitant to have the pate at first but now she is addicted to them and eats about 3 a week. We go to our little Viet bakery in windsor, (not Ntran) down near Orange Cafe. They cost $4.50 but are one of the best I have ever had.
I lived on the Ntran pork rolls for years when living nearby on High St.

Can think of many worse ways to spend a Sunday afternoon than picking up a pork roll or two and heading down to Chapel St Cellars (assuming they're still open).

Back