Por Smells Different

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackened

Reaction score
Hey all,
I got my ingredients in the mail today. :). Haven't craftbrewed for 7-8 years and I'm really looking forward to getting back into it!
Anyway, I opened up the hops to have a whiff, never tried Galaxy or Nelson Sauvin so I got some, along with POR. I was surprised to note the POR at only 8.7% AA and when I smelled them it was much less harsh than I remember. Probably just batch specific by I was wondering if anyone else had come across this? Could just be me loosing my marbles too lol.
The Nelson hops had a distinct ammonia note to them too. Is that normal?
Cheers!

they will vary from crop to crop and year to year. So I wouldnt worry to much, Also depends on the age and storage of them.

cant remember the smell of nelson sav

Can't comment on the POR but as far as the NS goes, I've noticed that with my all NS ales of late, they have taken on a more harsh cat piss profile than sauvin. I've heard that the growers have noted that the strain is changing it's characteristics each season and if this is true, i'm going to miss Nelson Sauvin. I haven't tried a grand reserve lately so I can't say if the commercial guys are experiencing a change in the profile.

cheers

Browndog

I have just blown a keg of probably the best Aussie lager I've ever made. Done with current Craftbrewer POR flowers. Nothing earthy or rough.

POR is like taking the dragon by the tail.

Often pleasantly surprising.

Noticed the other day while repacking POR for the store that the aroma was quite pleasant, very different to last years crop.
Will brew a Coopers Pale clone and see how they go, with only a 60min addition I'm not expecting to notice a big difference though.
Nige

Old PoR from 2006 stored loosely wrapped in an old hanky in the back of the freezer and covered in freezer burn, and some dehydrated corn kernels is absolutely essential for a faithful VB clone.

Old PoR from 2006 stored loosely wrapped in an old hanky in the back of the freezer and covered in freezer burn, and some dehydrated corn kernels is absolutely essential for a faithful VB clone.

Hehe I won't waste my time proving you right lol

Can't comment on the POR but as far as the NS goes, I've noticed that with my all NS ales of late, they have taken on a more harsh cat piss profile than sauvin. I've heard that the growers have noted that the strain is changing it's characteristics each season and if this is true, i'm going to miss Nelson Sauvin. I haven't tried a grand reserve lately so I can't say if the commercial guys are experiencing a change in the profile.

cheers

Browndog

Hey browndog, that's good to know. Where are you hearing the hop industry news from? Just curious.

Hey browndog, that's good to know. Where are you hearing the hop industry news from? Just curious.

A local Brewer of note around here that is known as The Scientist on AHB was telling me about it a couple of weeks back when I was complaining to him that my last few NS ales were not tasting like they should. Don't know where he got it from.

I've been tasting pissy Nelson Sauvin beers for years now.

the 8.7% AA hops are the new season ones too.
Maybe they have mellowed, as the Nelson hops have changed too.

I noticed my Cooper's commercial beers not quite as blokey as they once was. ;)

One of the worst tasted I've experienced in a beer is when I used some old POR Pellets. It was putrid!!!

:icon_vomit:

Cheers

Latest posts

Back