POR Out on its Ear

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a POR lover too!!

It's the essence of Aussie beer for me, and I grew up with it.

I like the Super Pride but I haven't brewed with it yet, smells great. It's high alpha too.

Super Pride is where the growers have moved and as home brewers we are secondary considerations it seems to what the big breweries are doing and what they want. Can't argue there.

I still have POR but not for much longer. Put some in ya freeza!

I'm glad I got 1kg in my deep freeze, I love it for my aussie style lawnmower lager and also my stout is awesome, very similar to Nail brewings oatmeal stout, I recon they must use por in it.

Gunna buy another kg for my time capsule hop store in my deep freezer if it's gunna be gone soon...

Still a small hop farm growing POR, so a little bit around but how long for i don't know.

Commercially, the big boys have gone with a higher AA% hop to get more bang for their buck and save on production costs. Super Pride and Dr. Rudi (Super Alpha). If anyone saw the Landline bit on HPA, they mentioned dropping POR along with other high AA% varieties and growing more proprietary flavouring/aroma varieties.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Did you drink VB as a tyke in old blighty ?
I hadn't realised Brewman was a pom, he sounds pretty Aussie to me when ever we talk.
Are you sure you aren't thinking of Bribe...
Mark

Drank heaps of Fosters in the 1970s. Was the only decent lager. And it was a nice drop back then.

Yob said:
No longer being commercially grown...
Good ******* riddance. Its been the fly in my Coopers ointment for years.

Dave70 said:
Good ******* riddance. Its been the fly in my Coopers ointment for years.
I thought long and hard about my next statement...

**** you

I feel better now

Ducatiboy stu said:
I thought long and hard about my next statement...

**** you

I feel better now
I'm a masochist.

So do I.

My precioussssssss

por precious.jpg

Bribie G said:
My precioussssssss

I'll toss Ya for em.

I dead set want a rhizome for next season please anybody.

I was lead to believe that the farms in Branxholm here in NE Tas were producing POR for Coopers from a former employer while I dabbled in the brewing game a couple of years ago. (Happy to be corrected but from my local knowledge these aren't HPA farms). Drove past them a couple of weeks ago and there was hundreds of acres of leafy bines.

abyss said:
I'll toss Ya for em.

Ive nursed mine back to health this year, should have a few zomes come winter

POR - I close my eyes, only for a moment then the moments gone...

:(

Bribie G said:
Cascade Premium Lager switched from Hersbrucker to Summer a couple of years ago as their aroma hop. Wonder what they will do now.
I visited the cascade brewery middle last year and they told me that the Premium Lager was being discontinued. Maybe they can start doing the original again

Yob said:
Ive nursed mine back to health this year, should have a few zomes come winter
Unreal Yob,
My Cluster flowers arrived from you last Tuesday. I didn't realise how large the 100g bags are compared to pellets. I'll let you know how they go.

I wonder what koziousko pale ale will do, it uses POR for dry hopping.

According to 'Beer... the Truth' website it's 100% Galaxy. Are you suggesting I don't trust something I written on the internet?????
Ed: just saw on the Lion website that they use Galaxy and PoR. I'm really struggling with the idea that there is a contradiction on the internet, who can I trust now?

abyss said:
I'll toss Ya for em.

No thanks, stopped all that when my scoutmaster got arrested.

Bribie G said:
No thanks, stopped all that when my scoutmaster got arrested.
I didn't mean it that way Bribie. I don't trust scoutmasters either.

Latest posts

Back