Popping my AG cherry - DSGA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But in the name of being a tight arse imagine how much that would cost...

The same grain I can buy in a sack at $1.80 - $1.90 a kilo is $3.30 at the shop, for the sake of 10 mins worth of grinding some grain.

Plus it would take me longer to go there and get home. A mill is on the cards, just not yet.....

Just wondering where you buy your grain much cheaper rather than a LHBS

Wilkensone said:
Just wondering where you buy your grain much cheaper rather than a LHBS
That's probably only Joe White at those prices. And probably in bulk.

Grain mill on the cheap. It's a pasta machine that I took to the rollers with a grinder and then built the hopper.

My total cost $0 since I already had everything lying around but I think you can eBay a pasta machine for around $30.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1393271357.960509.jpg

Yeah, the grinder thing is a pain, but it's one of those things where you save money if you can and make stuff work.

I think the method itself is a long term solution, but coffee grinding certainly isn't. It's more that if you can dip your toe in and have a feel for AG brewing, then it's up to you where you go. Other than a mill, I'd much rather direct my $$ to kegging, than finding a way to save myself a little extra effort.

Rob nice work with the DIY grain mill, but I don't think that would be a safe option for me, so when I get a mill I'll pay the money and get something which is purpose made.

Spiesy $1.90 per kg is what I'm working on for the moment and yes that is Joe White bought as a 25kg sack, not in a bulk buy. However I'm am down for 2 & 1/2 sacks in the bulk buy which you and cocko are hosting. So that should see me right for a few months.

LRG, like I said before the grinder won't be permenent, but the keezer is more important than the mill at this stage.

Nice. Did DSGA for my first AG brew. Such a good beer. No one i have ever shared it with have disliked it.

I gave one of my DSGA's to a guy that's works with my girlfriend, he drinks JS Chancer regularly and did a side by side comparison.

He said he loved mine and preferred it over the JS, pretty happy with a compliment like that.

+1 for the DSGA. Our first batch turned out quite tasty, even approved by SWMBO who raves about the Wicked Elf Pale.

Even one glass leaves a definite muddy taste the morning after though. Any thoughts on the potential causes of that?

BIAB in urn, no-chilled, fermented at ~18 and crash chilled. Bottled not kegged.

CapnK you are clearly a softy who cannot handle his booze. Muddy taste my arse! :)

Hey rob.p, nice mill! I have a pasta machine gathering dust somewhere. Did ya use the grinder to just rough up the rollers a bit?

Topher said:
CapnK you are clearly a softy who cannot handle his booze. Muddy taste my arse! :)
Lest anyone thing topher is a rude SOB, he was the brewmaster on the batch I referred to. I'm just being a picky assistant who wants more excellence

Brewmaster! I like the sounds of that!

I think it is the 'wet cardboard' taste that people describe with oxidisation. Fair bit of splashing into the cube and into the bottle.

Back