Poor Mans Flow Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aces High

Reaction score
Ebay

I came across these manual pinch valves when I was searching for some solenoid pinch valves, and I am wondering if they would work as flow controllers if you wrapped them around your beer line. They are designed for fine adjustment, so they could be a really good poor mans solution to flow control.

I dont know how well beer line would pinch, but as you're only looking for restriction not to close the line down completely, i reckon they could be good.

Thoughts anyone

Wouldnt hurt to try one but i know my beer line is pretty rigid.

Would work most likely. I know my brother used to use pinch clamps to slow flow in his lines, but it's difficult to fine tune it.

The glue-tube-insert type flow restrictors (a plastic spiral that fits inside the diptube or line) cost a few cents each, those are a true 'Poor Mans Flow Controller'. ;)

Maybe if you put the word adjustable behind this...
I agree with the pinch stuff, I tried one on a beer gun and it did reduce foam. (the cheap pinch clamps, not this stuff)

Ebay

I came across these manual pinch valves when I was searching for some solenoid pinch valves, and I am wondering if they would work as flow controllers if you wrapped them around your beer line. They are designed for fine adjustment, so they could be a really good poor mans solution to flow control.

I dont know how well beer line would pinch, but as you're only looking for restriction not to close the line down completely, i reckon they could be good.

Thoughts anyone

It will slow flow, but it will be fu<k'd for the o2 coming out of solution

QldKev

Haha, Nice solution, dent!

Thanks - I've changed over half (8) of my taps to this method, they have been working a treat since. Just haven't got around to doing the other half yet. Much easier if you boil a kettle and dip the tubes in the hot water before attempting to stretch them.

FFS, sorry for trying to take the "poor man's" crown off the spiral flow restrictors, thankfully I didn't put ghetto anywhere in my post or it would have cause all sorts of controversy

Lets call this the poor mans adjustable flow controllers, as obviously Dent's option and also the spiral type are non adjustable where as this can be tuned to the beer carbination just like a Perlick flow control tap... oh shit ive just compared it to a perlick.. sorry, i take that back. Its just what it is, maybe it would work maybe it wouldn't

Maybe it would work and maybe it wouldn't.
Then again maybe you should not ask for anyone's thoughts if you're going to bitch when you get them.

Would work most likely. I know my brother used to use pinch clamps to slow flow in his lines, but it's difficult to fine tune it.

I thought these would probably be pretty easy to fine tune due to the fact that you have a scale so you can adjust them up a step at a time

It will slow flow, but it will be fu<k'd for the o2 coming out of solution

QldKev

Why would the O2 come out of solution? Wouldn't this work on a similar system to a flow controller tap or those shanks?

I thought these would probably be pretty easy to fine tune due to the fact that you have a scale so you can adjust them up a step at a time

Why would the O2 come out of solution? Wouldn't this work on a similar system to a flow controller tap or those shanks?

The main difference is a flow controller tap is designed to have a nice smooth flow, even when restricting it.

This is just clamping the line, so it will be a sharp choke on it. Somewhere back through the forum I did some testing similar and posted pics/results. Probably my closest test was using vice grips to clamp the line to get the correct flow. I could adjust the grips to suit what flow I needed, but still had foaming at a slow flow. Changed to the perlicks flow controllers and no foam.

Hope this helps.

QldKev

edit: found the thread on it.
I tried the grips for a few days, in the end I gave up. I even tried one of those flow control adapters which i wasn't 100% happy with. (it's for sale if your interested to try it)

I don't control my flow, just let it hit the porcelain pan or stanley steel as fast as it wants to go. It's not healthy to do otherwise.

Oh, we're talking beer lines before we've processed the beer through our internals? Can't help you with that one.

I don't control my flow, just let it hit the porcelain pan or stanley steel as fast as it wants to go. It's not healthy to do otherwise.

very true warra.

Someone also told me once that as your line ages, the flow slows naturally anyway...

Im still young though so have no real proof of that.

Go hard or go home i reckon! :icon_chickcheers:

I want to know why you guys have so much O2 coming out of your beer, and why it's a concern...

:lol:

Latest posts

Back