Poor Man's Counter Pressure Bottle Filler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boots

Reaction score
I have previously been using my picnic faucet at low pressure pouring into frozen bottles to fill bottles from my kegs. Then I read this and wondered why I didn't think of that ...

Brewboard - CPBF alternative

All you need is an "out" disconnect, a hunk of beer hose and a cobra tap with a bottling wand jammed inside of the outlet of the tap. Lower the pressure in the keg, fill the bottle up, cap it and go. Might take a little fiddling around to get the pressure right so you don't have too much foam, but that's the only downside that I can find....and you have to do that with a CPF too!

The bottling cane would solve my "froth out through the top once the bottle is half full" problem.

I use something similar, a beer disconnect with a length of hose on it and no tap. Release the head pressure in the keg to zero, then increase the gas pressure so beer gently comes out the end of the hose, place in the bottle so it fills from the bottom and slowly and gently fill, using the gas reg tap to stop and start beer flow.

Another really cool brew gadget that is cheap (once you have a keg setup) is a pet cap carbonator.

I stick a piece of 5mm beer line in the nozzle of my tap, lower the keg to just pouring pressure, then open and close the tap as needed. Works pretty good most times. Having everything really cold works the best.

- Snow

Despite peoples comments to the contrary, I often fill bottles straight from the tap, using my adjustable flow tap to get a good pour. I let the foam fill the headspace & cap - never had an oxidised taste even after several months, though usually they are drunk much quicker...

I use a pluto and set the gas pressure so that the beer just flows when holding the bottle at waist level, then by moving the bottle/pluto up or down, the flow rate can be varied due to the influence of atmospheric pressure. If everything is good and cold, you can do this with no foaming. Much better than the beer shower you get when your numb mind gets the valve sequence out of order on the cp filler.

I'm probably biased but this one rocks: http://brewiki.org/CounterPressureBottleFiller

CPF.jpg

Despite peoples comments to the contrary, I often fill bottles straight from the tap, using my adjustable flow tap to get a good pour. I let the foam fill the headspace & cap - never had an oxidised taste even after several months, though usually they are drunk much quicker...

Apologies for dragging up such an old thread, but i have a small 9l party keg and have been searching on couter pressure filler etc.

I'd only use this once in a blue moon and was wondering if you think i can just fill it slowly from the tap as you said Ross?

I can then use either a bike pump or a whipper bulb to replace pressure and pour?

smallkeg1.jpg

smallkeg2.jpg

I'd just run a hose from your keg tap to the spout on your party keg open both taps and bleed the air from party keg via bikevalve,that way your filling to the bottom of party keg and controling flow via pressure relief through tyre inflator,just reduce your keg pressure to min or as I do disconect the gas line,a CPBF is basicaly just a tap and a means of bleeding air out of a sealed reciever vessel

Excellent, so i just fill it till it overflows out the bike valve, disconnect everything and pour a small beer out so it's not too full?

Good stuff indeed.

The best thing is that it was a gift from a mate who found it at a recycle center and had the pinhole in the bottom aly welded for me :icon_cheers:

Yup just bleed the air as if you were letting a tyre down[depressing the valve]you will see a chill line coming up the keg as it fills just stop when it gets bout 50mm from valve

Back