Polypropylene - Safe To Boil In?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatus

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got access to a 220L Polypropylene drum - used for wine i believe. I'm thinking of the worlds biggest bucket-o-death. The walls seem fairly sturdy, cant imagine they will soften - will i get nasties in my beer though?

Cheers

Hi all,

I've got access to a 220L Polypropylene drum - used for wine i believe. I'm thinking of the worlds biggest bucket-o-death. The walls seem fairly sturdy, cant imagine they will soften - will i get nasties in my beer though?

Cheers

assuming its ok to boil in, how do you intend on boiling that much wort ?

assuming its ok to boil in, how do you intend on boiling that much wort ?

My current element does40L no worries, another one and i think ill get close to boiling 100L. To be honest i wouldn't want to more than half fill it.. 100kg of boiling wort coming at me in a tidal wave is more than enough excitement for one brew day i think.

My current element does40L no worries, another one and i think ill get close to boiling 100L. To be honest i wouldn't want to more than half fill it.. 100kg of boiling wort coming at me in a title wave is more than enough excitement for one brew day i think.

less than half filling a 220L boil kettle is a gross underutilisation of equipment ;)

fine.. fine.. ill grow some balls then. I'm not sure if my house circuits can take more than 2 elements though. haha.

I thought it was impressive that i was more concerned about nastys leeching into my beer than the 200L of boiling wort.. but i take your point.

fine.. fine.. ill grow some balls then. I'm not sure if my house circuits can take more than 2 elements though. haha.

I thought it was impressive that i was more concerned about nastys leeching into my beer than the 200L of boiling wort.. but i take your point.

yes grow some balls, extention cord from the neighbour on one side, extention cord from the neighbour on the other side, plus your own circuit should do it :D

just don't let elements come near the walls

PP is ok to boil to sanitise it so it will be ok mind you not sure about the weight of water you will have in it and how soft it will get so that could be a issue

just don't let elements come near the walls

yeh will be drilling a hole and fixing a permanent element, so shouldnt be an issue.

PP is ok to boil to sanitise it so it will be ok mind you not sure about the weight of water you will have in it and how soft it will get so that could be a issue

yeh thats what got me worried too.. maybe ill just keep a look out for a stainless vessel, dont want to make the darwin awards ;-)

Latest posts

Back