Polypins.. Anyone use them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coach_R

Reaction score
G'day all,

Hope this is the correct section for this post, tried searching the site for polypin and came up with nothing.

Firstly incase it's called something else as well here is a polypin

polypin_10_600.jpg

I want to recreate some English Ales as close to traditionally as possible. I just got back from living in London and worked in a brewery over there for close to 2 years and found they used polypins so the public could buy cask ale for home use and i thought that would be great for homebrewing now that i am home. Only challenge i am having is finding anywhere in Australia that i can buy them.

If anyone has ever seen or uses these for brewing any help would be massively appreciated!

Cheers Guys :icon_cheers:

There has been some talk about polypins here but nobody seems to have found anywhere in Oz that stock them. I'm surprised one of our retailers don't stock them as there seems to be a fair bit of interest.

batz

One of the expats in our club has a couple. I'm pretty sure he now just uses no chill cubes. Same thing essentially. This weekend our club is having a get together, which always includes hand pumped uk ales, from cubes.

Username here is S.E if you want to pm him.

I got one of those from the big green shed, worked out fine the couple of times I used it.

I'm planning on using either the BCF or SCA water containers for cask ales once i've built my ghetto hand pump
all the reviews i've read of people using them have said they work perfectly

I had a look at the BCF one for cold conditioning, but would be hard to keep sanitised. However I reckon it would be fine for serving. A PP is really just one of those in a box.

Being using these for around 30 years, with a hand pump it's as close as you will get to an English pub ale. Mind you I am in the UK.

DennisKing said:
Being using these for around 30 years, with a hand pump it's as close as you will get to an English pub ale. Mind you I am in the UK.
Any chance you could tell us how you use them Dennis? It would be good to have the process in writing with a bit of detail, do you prime them and what temp do you serve at ect.

Andrew

DennisKing said:
I am interested in the details too Dennis. Would you mind posting the external sizes? Need to see if they would fit on the hump in my keezer.

Just put a random quick 15L K&K brew down this morning purely to see how the SCA bags go.. if anyone has any info on how much sugar i should use to prime one of these bad boys that'd be great!

I have been using them for over 30 years......used to get them from the off licence in the UK where they were used for bulk sherry.

I used them to serve ale by gravity...They will collapse as you draw the ale. You can push on the top of the cube to make sure no air enters....Best for a party when it will be drunk quickly but I have used them over a period of weeks...Great if you
Ike flat ale....which I do.

Can't seem to get them over here unfortunately.

My procedure is very simple, I want my beer to be as an English real ale, light natural carbonation. I normally rack into pin around a gravity 1012 no priming sugar and leave somewhere slightly warm. The pin will expand a little after 4-5 days so I move to my garage which at the moment is around 12c and even in summer rarely go's above 20c. If it does get too warm a wet towel will bring it down, in the UK we don't get the temperatures you do. I like to let it condition for 2-3 weeks although you can drink younger. By serving through the hand pump the action of the pump gives me just the amount of life I want. Before I got the hand pump I would prime with 80gms of sugar and serve by gravity. The beer stays fresh for at least 2-3 weeks, to be honest they normally drank within that time. My pins are 20ltr and are aprox. 13" x 11"x 11".

5297876650_8b9e8683c6.jpg

Back