Polyclar Causing Airlock Activity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshuahardie

Beer, so much more than a breakfast drink
Reaction score
Brewers,

As per the title, I have started using Polyclar and I have noticed that it is causing airlock activity even though the beer is at terminal gravity.

It has happened to me all of the three times I have used it but Ill give an example of a current brew.

Beer started at 1050 and finished at 1007. No airlock activity present
I cold crashed to 1 degree and added the dissolved Polyclar.
Over the next 3 days I have noticed the airlock bubbling at a rate of about 1 bubble every 20 - 30 seconds.

The gravity is stable at 1007.

Hydro samples smell and taste just fine.

Is this normal? PVPP is a new product to me.

Thanks
Josh

Firstly as you know, don't rely on the airlock as a sign if activity on the brew.

My guess is one of 2 things.
1- the polyclar gas become a source of nucleation points in the beer and is allowing some co2 to escape from solution
2- in adding the polyclar you've disturbed the trub and beer allowing co2 to escape from solution

I doubt there is any further yeast activity producing more co2. You're just losing some that was already there.

+1 to a combination of Argons two comments for sure.

I presume the beer still tastes good? If so no issue!

When tasting your sample you may note a light carbonation as argon said the polyclar becomes a nucleation point to release that CO2 out of solution. Same thing happens usually when dry hopping.

Kleiny

Beer looks, smells and tastes fine.

So C02 coming out of solution is probably it.

Latest posts

Back