Poll: Culture Vault - What size

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What size Vials do you use to freeze yeast

• 15ml

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - will state in topic

• I know nothing about freezing Yeast

• Total voters
mofox1 said:
So you have half a freezer free? Not sure I understand the problem... I could certainly go some more yeast storage space!
;)
The rest if full of bread and bananas! If my freezer was to get robbed anyone would think I'm a doomsday prepper.

The pharmacy at work has just confirmed for me they can get me 30ml and 50ml "sample" tubes for next to nix
So I guess that's what I'll be using

Sooooo ..... are you going to run a buy on these?

Just askin ... I mean I like peeps showing off their skills and such.

and I don't want to give Mrs Yob reasons to want me dead!!

BTW they look perfect for the job :beerbang:

malt junkie said:
Sooooo ..... are you going to run a buy on these?

BTW they look perfect for the job :beerbang:
Looking to have them manufactured, yep

Designed for purpose :kooi:

Mini Vault images (Cartridge Vault)

The only size that requires the clips to make the 'work zone' is the 15ml which wont stand on their own and the plat will hold 8 vials, enough to store a fresh pack and still make a starter.

The Vault has been designed as a one size fits all scenario, if you do 15, 30 or 50ml the plates will fit the same vault, in fact the 30ml and the 50ml are the same diameter so the plate fits both

The box can be colsed up and filled (about 5mm below the plate) with a buffering solution and frozen, particularly useful if you only have frost free as it will buffer any temperature fluctuation

I'm keen
Gnna go down to our pharmacy right now to grab some of the tubes

*edit*
Turns out we just use the ProSciTech LCA01 50ml centrifuge tubes
time to freeze some yeast

shut_up_and_take_my_money-t2.jpg

Moad said:
Yob if you need some r and d funds I'd prepay kick starter style
Gotta see what the tooling and press costs will be, ots likely I'll just jump for it (like I do with most things in life) and get it done...

By the time I **** around getting a kickstarter going, we could all be vaulting our arses off ;)

Experimenting with 5ml vials..but have like 1000x50ml vials in the spare room..

Love this idea - hope you get it all together.

I use a lowtech method - a styrofoam box lined with freezer blocks (frost free freezer) and 15ml vials stood in coffee cups in the middle - works but not exactly elegant.

Might be up for something like this instead though if you go all production on us.

boddingtons best said:
Love this idea - hope you get it all together.

I use a lowtech method - a styrofoam box lined with freezer blocks (frost free freezer) and 15ml vials stood in coffee cups in the middle - works but not exactly elegant.

Might be up for something like this instead though if you go all production on us.
A part of this idea is for guys like you with a frost free situation..

The Vault can be filled with a buffering solution that in effect negates the effects of a frost free environment..

How many 15ml vials do you have in your library?

My Larger prototype holds 7x7 and I'd be happy to send to a worthy beta tester.. its about version 4 and I feel is pretty solid.. pretty ******* stupid that I develop my prototype in a way I cant use it myself but hay, its been an interesting journey :)

On the development side, I find it interesting that the final design is a mixture of version 1 and version 4, ultimately, it means that one box can suit all sizes Ive tested (15, 30, 50) and the only thing that changes is the top plate.

Ultimate box will hold 5x5 30/50 or 7x7 15ml, many things have been refined along the way but one of the hardest things to accommodate is the ability of the vault to do both deep freezer and frost free.

So.

Prototype giveaway. (+postage)

1 Large vault holding (and including) 42 15ml vials (full of starsan) - will fit 3kg express post pack
1 Cartridge vault holding (and including) 8 15ml vials (full of starsan) + workzone clips (pictured above) - will fit 500g Express post pack

Feedback required

More than happy to provide some feedback yob. I haven't been freezing long but I reckon I'm pretty well across it

I know you'll fill the spots in the next 2 weeks and goodness knows I've had my share of Yob freebies, but dang this is awesome. I'm just getting my bits for a stirplate, tubes and the rest in the next few days. Just need glycerine and I'm there.

Hope this goes beyond prototype.

Moad said:
More than happy to provide some feedback yob. I haven't been freezing long but I reckon I'm pretty well across it
Did I mention this one glows in the dark?

I'll shoot you a pm

Back