Poll: Culture Vault - What size

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What size Vials do you use to freeze yeast

• 15ml

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - will state in topic

• I know nothing about freezing Yeast

• Total voters

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
rather than bog down the Freezing Yeast topic with this stuff, I thought I'd start this.

Ive started work on developing some storage containers to fit in the deep freezer or with a bit of an addition, even a frost free (more to come on this)

The 2 sizes Im familiar with people having are the 50ml vials and the 15ml vials and the prototypes for both are underway

Prototype 1

it has vertically slotted plates that form the 'slots' for the vials and can store 5 x 5 50ml Vials

Prototype 2

can fit 8 x 8 15ml vials in a horizontal plate

Interested to see what people think and what is the most common size vial used.

Cheers

I'll try and grab a pic, but we get foam culture tube trays here at work, for transporting drugs and samples to/from horse studs
Dunno if they'd be any good for you

When I read the title I thought you were questioning freezer size. A 350L chesty would even keep you happy Yob.

Like most I use the 50ml, but I've barely started. (6 vials and yet to revive one)

I did my first batch with 50 ml vials last year from a chemist down the road. Since then I've found 30 ml ones from another local chemist. I feel these are best size for me ATM

Btw, just got out of freezer a vial of 1084 frozen from late last year, and stepped it into 500 ml of 1025 wort, 24 hrs into 1.5 ltr of 1040 , yest morning, today lovely thick creamy krausen, smells nice, going to step it up into a 3 ltr total 1040 tonight and tomm arvo pitch into 2 batches of Irish red.

Didn't really see much action in the 1025 wort, but their must of been growth as it had nice layer on the bottom after 36 hrs. Once into the 1040 wort, took off nicely after 24 hrs. Standard digital stirrer in Brisbane room temp ATM , deff going to get a yeast forge for next winter thou as still abit cool. But took off none the less.

Love this freezing thing, just so handy to have a selection on hand for brews I do.

The second one looks idea for my newly acquired deep freeze (mainly for SWMBO to store meals and bulk meat, but I'm allowed the bit over the hump under the basket. That should be enough to start my colony.

Mainly 15's and 30's here. The 30's have a flat base and with a 50% yeast mix I estimate somewhere around 50billion cells. From freezer to pitch in two steps, although no race to get it in the FV, just what works for me.

Pretty keen to see these pan out. I've lost 50% of my freezer real estate to hops and yeast.

sp0rk said:
I'll try and grab a pic, but we get foam culture tube trays here at work, for transporting drugs and samples to/from horse studs
Went down and asked in our pharmacy, the ones I'm thinking of are part of a kit for a certain drug, can't order them individually
However I can order a tray of blood sample vials that come in a foam tray, dunno if they'd be boilable/autoclavable tho
Guess I could chuck them in the autoclave at work and see what happens...

I've switched mainly to 15's (>100), but I started with 50's and still have a few of them (30 or 40?).

I've found the 15s work out alright... If I've got the time I'll build up from a single vial (~5ml compact yeast going into a 200ml 'ish 1.030 starter). Otherwise if the yeast is a bit old, has less yeast solids, or I want to reduce the lag time, I'll use 2 or more vials. 3 x 15ml vials is basically a 50ml... which can go straight into a 500ml initial step.

Shit.. So that's 3 sizes...

Can someone send me one?

I'm thinking of making a one size fits all box with an interchangeable plate for the various tube sizes, a 15, 30 and 50 would work well I think.

I have tons of the 15 and 50 but none of the 30

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
3D Printer, Yob?

My research has lead me to getting 30ml ones, by the way.

Got one at work that I've currently pirated to do the prototype, 2nd image in the gallery bar is the start of the box.. The main box will be ready tmoz but I still need to do the plate, lid and positioning plugs. So by Friday I should have the lot printed.. Well unless someone needs the work printer for "work" jobs..

sp0rk said:
I thought of them mate but there are some other factors that make them not suitable..

I'm developing a solid gel sort of thing that the container can be filled with to act as a buffer for frost free freezers and insurance if a freezer dies or a big power outage. (such as Les and his almost yearly floods) The Styrofoam containers I've seen don't have the ability to fill with the buffer solution, hence the development of this, I couldn't find anything suitable so decided to develop the damn thing myself..

I'm about 60 hours deep in CAD and **** knows how many staring at a screen/wall/beer thinking about it and how it can be made better..

Such is my way.. ;)

Yob said:
I thought of them mate but there are some other factors that make them not suitable..

I'm developing a solid gel sort of thing that the container can be filled with to act as a buffer for frost free freezers and insurance if a freezer dies or a big power outage. (such as Les and his almost yearly floods) The Styrofoam containers I've seen don't have the ability to fill with the buffer solution, hence the development of this, I couldn't find anything suitable so decided to develop the damn thing myself..

I'm about 60 hours deep in CAD and **** knows how many staring at a screen/wall/beer thinking about it and how it can be made better..

Such is my way.. ;)
The other thing to look into is sperm shipping eskys
you can get ones that have freezing packs (like snap them and they get cold) that can last a few hours
They don't hold huge amounts of vials though, I think the ones we have can only hold up to 10

Coldspace said:
I did my first batch with 50 ml vials last year from a chemist down the road. Since then I've found 30 ml ones from another local chemist. I feel these are best size for me ATM
Btw, just got out of freezer a vial of 1084 frozen from late last year, and stepped it into 500 ml of 1025 wort, 24 hrs into 1.5 ltr of 1040 , yest morning, today lovely thick creamy krausen, smells nice, going to step it up into a 3 ltr total 1040 tonight and tomm arvo pitch into 2 batches of Irish red.
Didn't really see much action in the 1025 wort, but their must of been growth as it had nice layer on the bottom after 36 hrs. Once into the 1040 wort, took off nicely after 24 hrs. Standard digital stirrer in Brisbane room temp ATM , deff going to get a yeast forge for next winter thou as still abit cool. But took off none the less.
Love this freezing thing, just so handy to have a selection on hand for brews I do.
The 1.025 starter will do more for replenishment of health than growth, expelling the glycerine and getting moving again. Half the time I'll allow the first starter to settle out on its own so it builds up the glycogen and thehalose reserves and then get cranking at 1.040 2l or 3l, if I'm not in a hurry that is...

Back