Points (abv)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henderjo

Reaction score
This may be here somewhere, so my apologies if it is...

If I take a standard brew K&K, fresh wort or similar - and only add water to say 19lts (to suit a cornie keg). Would I expect to have a slightly higher SG and a slightly higher than expected FG? If so by how much would I expect the change from a 21ltr brew?

Cheers,

Hendo.

good question and a very difficult one. But from my understanding if you cut the water volume back it will still ferment the same amount of sugar. So the if the FG of a 23lt brew should be 1.010 then the same ingredients in a 21lt one should be the same. But then you get yeast health and the way its being pitched this can effect both brews. Also you look at the attention of the yeast, not sure if this is effected if you have the same fermentables and less of a volume. At a guess (have not read any yeast books) I would say yes it will. As the yeast also have a alcohol tolerance so the more alcohol the more stress the yeast have. So if its a high gravity brew then yes it will effect the attention but if its a mid then it should get the same OG.

I am sure some one thats read up on it or studied yeast will have alot more info and mine is prob totally wrong but thats my guess :p

good question and a very difficult one. But from my understanding if you cut the water volume back it will still ferment the same amount of sugar. So the if the FG of a 23lt brew should be 1.010 then the same ingredients in a 21lt one should be the same. But then you get yeast health and the way its being pitched this can effect both brews. Also you look at the attention of the yeast, not sure if this is effected if you have the same fermentables and less of a volume. At a guess (have not read any yeast books) I would say yes it will. As the yeast also have a alcohol tolerance so the more alcohol the more stress the yeast have. So if its a high gravity brew then yes it will effect the attention but if its a mid then it should get the same OG.

I am sure some one thats read up on it or studied yeast will have alot more info and mine is prob totally wrong but thats my guess :p

a very valid point as you will be dealing with higher OG and potential increase in abv, it would become more important to pitch the correct amount of healthy yeast in a starter.

Latest posts

Back