Podcasts And Beer Talkshows.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangent

Reaction score
Hey All.
I don't have an iPod or any MP3 player other than the cd player in my car (which does play MP3s).
Even without MP3 facilities, I've found some excellent US brewing stuff out there.

1. Craft beer Radio - Sounds like 2 accountants fluffing around, and listening to someone drinking a beer is like listening to someone having a root - no fun at all. But some different brands are mentioned and just because it's beer related is reason enough, maybe.

2. Basic Brewing Radio - Only heard a few episodes so far but this is awesome! They had a guy from Wyeast to go through a heap of submitted yeast questions. This show is GREAT! Get a highlighter and circle this part of your screen. :)

3. Big Foamy Head - honestly haven't listened to it yet but the topics sound ok. More fun and bbqs and home brew kinda stuff maybe.

Anyhow, you're on a PC with the net, and that's all you need. No iPod required.
Google it and get into it.
The BEST MP3 cd to have for a long drive is blokes talking about mashing and brewing heaps of beer :)

The brewing network (USA) is another live radio - once per week and offers their show as a downloadable mp3

MWS

markws said:
The brewing network (USA) is another live radio - once per week and offers their show as a downloadable mp3

MWS
[post="87348"][/post]​
I just wish they would do it as a podcast. That way it can be automatically downloaded.

You can find most of these things through any of the major podcast sites. You don't need an ipd for podcasts. Try these to get started:

iTunes
Podcast Alley
Odeo

Beer Safari is a new aggregator of brewing related Podcasts from
Big Foamy Head
The Beer Report
Dude Night
Pacific Brew News
Good Beer Show
Basic Brewing Radio
Should I Drink That ?

Obviously the one missing is The Brewing Network and the Jamil Show but nice to have a brewing related aggregator.

Beers,
Doc

Are they worth a listen to Doc?

Cheers
Big D

Are they worth a listen to Doc?

Cheers
Big D

Pacific Brew News is a bit of a hit and miss show. A couple of really good episodes, but really some rambling while doing beer tastings. The Good Beer Show I never could really get into. Basic Brewing Radio is very good. I listen to every episode, and the video podcasts. Same with The Brewing Network. I listen to that each week also. They would be my two top recommendations.

Doc

markws said:

MWS
[post="87348"][/post]​
I just wish they would do it as a podcast.
Search the iTunes podcasts, it's there. As well as The Jamil Show.

I'm with you Doc.

Never miss James on BBR, and the boys (and girl) on TBN are a hoot.

TBN, being three hours long usually, makes for a great show to listen to while I'm working in the brewhouse :)

Andy

The Brewing Network is probably the best of them in limited doses. Hearing John, Justin, Doc. etc. talking about getting hammered and vomiting out the windows of taxis is a bit tiring. Daniela is the real star and can vomit on me any day. :wub:

Any episode that has Vinnie Cilurzo from Russian River or most micro operators is a gem. That guy (Vinnie) is a true innovator. :beerbang:

Jamil wears thin and IMO is either more suited for educating the AG newbie or is withholding information on each program.

Each week is the same. John asks him a biting question and he goes.... ummmm.... hmmmm... weeelll, ummmmm... mmm.... weeeeeelll you probably shouldn't do that. I reckon he's probably gathering his thoughts. That being said there can be no doubting how many top level awards he's won. You'd just expect more revelations from him. I still think he doesn't tell us everything. :lol:

Yes I also like Basic Brewing Radio. They have some good, no BS episodes. The oak table leg in the carboy for harbouring Brett was a classic. ;)

Warren -

i listen to TBN podcast all teh time. I like Jamil - the vagueness is abit annoying but he does offer quite abit of good info.

Cant wait till the next show on Imperial IPA's. I am sure a few guys here would like it too judging from some of te recipes that get posted...

There's also an Aussie CraftBrewer Radio.
http://radio.craftbrewer.org/

I've not yet listened to an episode (still working my way through the BBR episodes), but it may have some potential :)

Tim.

It took me a while to warm up to Craftbrewer Radio, but while it's only a short show, of late they definitely have had some interesting topics and experiments. Not to mention it's great to get some local info.

i'm really hooked on them now. i like BBR the best. the 3 part yeast series was a slog but worth it. James is easy to listen to and to the point. not too much wank. i'm just after brewing info, not songs or jokes.
the north queensland one is interesting but i heard an episode where they were bagging vegans yet they couldn't pronounce vegan :blink: that kinda put me off a bit.
now i'm hooked on the video podcasts.
anyone got any decent brewing VIDEO podcasts? (other than or BBV)
did Krotchrott keep going with his series?

edit - oh and i scored a 512mb shuffle for $70 which shat itself, so don't buy one, they suck! :(

After reading this thread I spent last night downloading all of the Basic Brewing Radio, The Brewing Network and The Jamil Shows. All up about 7 days worth of listening according to iTunes or just over 3GB - gotta love ADSL 2+.

If anyone is interested then I am happy to burn them onto 1 DVD or 5 CDs and send them out. I will also include a papercopy of what is on each disc with a quick run down of each show. I won't include a hard case to cut down postage weight.

I think a reasonable price is $2.50 for DVD version or $3.50 for CD version.
ie.
50c per DVD (cost price of blanks is $25/50 DVDs)
30c x 5 CDs = $1.50 (cost price of blanks is $15/50 CDs)
$1 for Australia Post CD mailing package
$1 for postage anywhere in Australia (Aust Post large letter price is $1 up to 125g)

I don't want to make any money out of this but I would like to try and cover my costs for the disc/s and estimated average postage. Any profit made, although highly unlikely, will be donated back to AHB. People in Adelaide can arrange a time with me to pickup copies - payment can be made by just exchanging a blank disc/s.

Please PM me if interested.

(Mods please remove if you think this breaches copyright or any other forum rules)

it's a good idea for poor bastards on dial-up
you can generally play mp3 DVDs in your home DVD player or puter if you don't own an MP3 player.

Thanks for the feedback Doc and others.Now to find time to have a listen.

Cheers
Big D

Looks like Dude Night do one as well.

Beers,
Doc

Just finished watching this and it isnt as informative as Krotchrotts or the Basic Brewing videos, basicly 3 guys getting pissed and brewing on some nice gear... but thats what happens when you get a group of brewers together :p

Jamil wears thin and IMO is either more suited for educating the AG newbie or is withholding information on each program.

Each week is the same. John asks him a biting question and he goes.... ummmm.... hmmmm... weeelll, ummmmm... mmm.... weeeeeelll you probably shouldn't do that. I reckon he's probably gathering his thoughts. That being said there can be no doubting how many top level awards he's won. You'd just expect more revelations from him. I still think he doesn't tell us everything. :lol:

I agree that he does wear a bit thin, but I reckon I disagree about the rest of what you say about Jamil. I don't think he is withholding anything. He repeatedly gives the revelations, over and over and over again. I think people expect him say something earth-shattering but he just keeps preaching the same stuff - sanitation, ferment temps, yeast health, pitching rates, recipe design, etc. I think he does a good job of hiding any frustration he has in repeating this stuff every time he gets behind the mic.

I really like listening to the guy but I feel like I've heard everything he's got to say on general brewing technique. I think the reason he wins so many awards is that he understands the key factors in making good beer and he happens to apply this understanding to a level that most brewers don't bother doing.

What I do like to hear from him at the moment is the Jamil Show stuff. He has nailed down a bunch of recipe design stuff through his own brewing and his judging which I find valuable when trying to brew a new style.

Back