Pluto Guns..are They A Pita?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Im just starting out in kegging and was advised by an experienced HB'er to stick with a picnic or bronco tap as Pluto guns are a PITA. And that most people end up ditching them.

Do those that have or have used them agree?

I've got 2 plutos and one picnic tap.

The plutos can pour a better beer, in the hands of somebody who knows what they're doing, i.e. straight-on/straight-off pour.

If you want to let your mates pour their own beers without ending up with half a pot of head, the picnic taps are better.

If you want to be able to strip your tap down to clean/sanitise everything, the pluto is better.

I've since gone to a kegerator with 3 Perlick's, so neither get much of a look in unless I take a keg along somewhere.

Come along to the next BBC meeting, you can borrow one of mine for a while, see how you like it.

pluto guns...old school..but the bomb.

learnt to pour a perfect beer with a pluto when I was about 7-8,
as WB says quick on, quick off...no feckin around....and you can make beer fountains/waterfalls/cascades... :D

I have had a Pluto gun for about three years. I don't use it all that often, only when all my other taps are tied up or when I take a keg to a Ballarat brewers gathering. Have never had any trouble with it and always get a good pour.
If you buy one, get a good quality SS one, some of the others are made from a chrome looking plastic.
As the earlier replies have mentioned, quick on and quick off, no inbetween.

Plutos give a great pour. Also work well to give an overzealous mate a quick spray if he's being a smart arse.

Plutos give a great pour. Also work well to give an overzealous mate a quick spray if he's being a smart arse.

Or a young chick at a party in a tight white t shirt. :p Yeh..Im sold on the pluto gun.. :D

Latest posts

Back