Plumbing Connection Lesson - From A Plumber :)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilBier

Reaction score
Plumbing tips (from me, that's coz I'm a plumber),

Not sure if anyone really wants to here this but I'd just thought I'd throw in a few cents worth.
There are a few standard connection types, and then there are some proprietary connection types.

For example, with copper tubing, there are standard sizings, with many manufacturers making tubing to suit - most common are 1/2 inch and 3/4. Common standard connection type is called a compression fitting - 1/2" or 3/4". The connections are generally made of brass as copper is too maleable to hold a thread under pressure. So you would (normally for water) use a brass compression fitting to join two pieces of copper. Not much point in using a stainless compression fitting for copper tubing - but you do need flaring block to make any compression end to a piece of copper tubing (remember to put the nut on first).

Next standard fitting is (in Australia) called a BSP thread - if anyone didn't know what this means, it literally means British Standard Pipe thread pattern. So a half inch fitting uses certain thread dimensions, there always matching 1/2 inch male threads and 1/2" female threads. But not necessarily the same millimeterage (is that a word?) as the BSP thread pattern for 3/4". I only say this so that if you were tapping a thread into a pipe or a vessel, the thread pattern increases as the pipe diameter increases. Hence the reason for BSP standards. BSP threads are matched to any type of fitting eg; a 1 x 3/4 inch brass reducing bush has the exact same thread as a 1 x 3/4 inch pvc reducing bush. That means a 1/2 inch brass female socket would accept a 1/2 inch male thread from brass, pvc, poly, stainless.... getting it?

Just be mindfull of thread standards because in Australia we use BSP standards, and in the land of da yankee, they use something like UNC which means United Stated Convention or something - hey it might be the same as BSP not sure...

Other standards probably include things like push-fit hose fittings - most 1/2" (12mm) garden hoses fit each other don't they.

I guess dirty old hose barbs are standards too (I hates them!) They accept a hose of any material provided it has the right ID (internal diameter). But you do need a hose clamp for it to hang on tight.

This is were proprietary fittings take over, if you wanted to make a better fitting, make it so that no one elses fittings can attach to it - make more money. For example swagelock stainless fittings are awesome for joining stainless tube. Remembering that the 1/2 inch stainless tube itself is made to a standard, hence my 1/2" tube benders which I mainly use for copper still will bend stainless tubing well - and it looks great too. You not only need the swagelock fittings, but you also need the swagelock tool to tell yo if you have done it up tight enough. Hence proprietary dollar making.

There are other proprietary fittings out there like some of the quick-fit push in food grade hose fittings. These kick but over hose barbs (my opinion only) as you dont need a hose clamp, but you have to buy their brand if you wanna use them. If you wanna use the food grade hose, and cheap out on the fittings, use a hose barb from any old manufacturer.

Going around slightly in circles, but I hope I have started to clarify in some peoples mind what some of the fittings mean.

I also wanted to welcome myself to this forum, so welcome WilBier, and many more plumbing lessons to come, should anyone need the know 

Welcome and thanks for the 1st lesson Wilbier, I'm sure as a plumber you will be providing heaps of info for the boys here, we are very much a DIY lot. Can I recommend you go to the pub section of the forum and make a post on the introduce yourself thread.

cheers

Browndog

edit spelling

Welcome WilBier,

Thanks for the informative post. I look forward to many more for this plumbing novice.

PS - where do you live? I need to bend some stainless 1/2" tubing - can I borrow your tube bender? :D

....or can you come & do do it for me? :D :D

.........pretty please :huh:

Jez

Welcome WilBier. A very informative post and I'm sure you may be getting some "AH! That's why it wouldn't fit!" comments being made around Australia in the privacy of various homes.

Fortunately, my LHBS proprietor has a bit of a plumbing background and is very free with any informtion and professional assistance in this area. This really helps some of the Hunter brewers in creating their breweries.

Again, welcome and where you can provide an input into a discussion feel free to do so - even if the info you provide may be seen to be erroneous, it provides material for a healthy debate and sometimes will induce some flow of knowledge onto the forum for others to 'lap up'.

Cheers

Steve

PS Last paragraph, I'm not saying what you posted tonight is erroneous, but future posts outside your area of expertise can sometimes be taken this way.

Hehe...Bet most of those IT guys just learnt something .... :lol:

been to the gasfitter today to get my gastank checked...
BSP=55 degrees thread pitch..
UNC==60 degrees thread pitch..
PJ

Thanks and welcome Wilbier!

Btw. how does NPT fit into all of this?

Thanks and welcome Wilbier!

Btw. how does NPT fit into all of this?

NPT is a US thread on the March pump it is 1/2 NPT that is exactly the same as 1/2"BSP that does not apply to other sizes in NPT

pumpy

cool that means i can stick to the BSP threaded stuff to make it easy.
Cheers

cool that means i can stick to the BSP threaded stuff to make it easy.
Cheers

Hey fellas,

thanks for saying hello. One more thing with the BSP thing, is that there is also the notion of parallel thread vs tapered thread.

What this means is this: a compression fitting has a tapered thread and a compression face on it. It uses the compression face to seal. The thread is there simply for the nut to grab onto and pull the flared tube onto the face of the compression nut. You may use teflon to help tighten the fitting, but it is not using the thread to seal - it is using the compression fitting.

Different for a male/female iron fitting. You may have heard the name of a fitting female iron tee? that is a tee with 3 female connectors. These fittings use the thread to seal. So use heaps of teflon, and you don't have to tighten it until you can't rotate the fittings any more - if you have used adequate sealant, you can stop threading in even if it is still easy to wind - that way all your fittings can line up nicely :)

I guess you can get mixed up somewhere along the line because some compression fittings screw into female iron sockets. This may not seal properly as the compression fitting has a tapered thread pattern.

Again hello to all.

WilBier - the keen amatuer brewer who looks forward to building a shed to have room to brew.

plumbng like this :) Its all 1/2 inch BSP

Im a sparkee :)

I think we share the same union mate.

betterthan those bloody fitters :)

.......... where is the bite :)

cheers

Only a sparky would mount an electrical control box under a HLT.The fitter would put it in a more user friendly position. :)

Big D :ph34r:

Wilbier,

Thought you only needed a flaring block for a flare fitting, not a compression fitting?

not sure if the sparkies and the plumbers are still amalgimated.

ETU here

cheers

Wilbier,

Thought you only needed a flaring block for a flare fitting, not a compression fitting?

Hey Timmy-O

hmm, as with all trades in comes the 'lingo'. It is similar to saying that Queenslanders have an accent and us Mexican's (south of the border) don't. So I can only speak from experience on this one.
I know it this way: A compression fitting seals on the flared joint. So you buy a compression elbow (for example) put the nut over the end of tube, use a flaring block (or rapid flarers) to spread the copper, then tighten the compression fitting to seal it.
What I am saying is I call it a compression fitting. And use a flaring block to make it happen.
There are other types of fittings that use an 'olive' that slides over the copper, then the but compresses this olive to make the seal.

Get's fun doesn't it.

WilBier

plumbng like this :) Its all 1/2 inch BSP

Im a sparkee :)

I think we share the same union mate.

betterthan those bloody fitters :)

.......... where is the bite :)

cheers

Dam fine plumning on the rig Tony. Even for a sparkee.
Sure wish my boss would sign that EBA and let me take those every second Monday RDO's.

Guess I will have to make do with beer-induced sicky's instead.

Really neat work though. Did you plan it all out? or just knock it up as you went?

Wilbier

i used the olive fittings........ its easier for us without flaring tools.

easy.

cheers

planned it but the plan fell in a heap so i knocked it up as i went.

I hooled up the outlets from the vessels first then hooked them up to the inlet of the pump

them i worked on the outlet side and did it bit by bit.

I just got a new job working a 9 day fortnight............ roster day every second week :) hehehe

cheers

Latest posts

Back