Plumber needed (Perth)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eamonnfoley

Foleybraü
Reaction score
Hi All,

Anyone here a plumber that can visit Maylands on Friday? Two sets of taps: one downstairs (hot only) and one upstairs (hot and cold) are have both stopped working. Think maybe they have air bubbles in them but really not sure.

The place near me charges a large call out fee and then bills by 15 min increments - so not keen to use them!

Cheers,

Foles.

Don't think so, as they became intermittent before stopping completely. And the downstairs hot one starts to flow after its been on for about 10 minutes (strange!)

foles said:
Don't think so, as they became intermittent before stopping completely. And the downstairs hot one starts to flow after its been on for about 10 minutes (strange!)
Very strange. If all your taps are off throughout the house you could check to see if your water metre is ticking over at all to eliminate a hidden leak at least.
You could also check your hot water system is full by opening the top up lever on the side of the unit, it should shoot out the overflow pipe within 2 to 20 seconds normally.

I reckon a valve on the hot water system is playing up, but I'm not a plumber so its only a guess. Hope it doesn't cost you too much to get sorted.

Fill a glass from the a hot water only tap and check it for rust or debris. Its not uncommon for a HWS on the wane to eject chunks of crap that lodge in the junctions where the water mixes.
You could try turning off your water at the meter, drain the system - ie - turn on a garden tap or whatever the lowest point is, then open the offending taps and turn on the meter. Sometimes the hydraulic shock is enough to dislodge the blockage.

As the previous caller said, it could also be a ruptured pipe. But I think you know by now due to the wetness of everything.

Long range diagnosis is always hit and miss however so if you are prepared to fly me over, provide me with food and lodgings and beer I'll be happy to dust off the old Stilsons and have a squiz for ya.

Dave70 said:
Fill a glass from the a hot water only tap and check it for rust or debris. Its not uncommon for a HWS on the wane to eject chunks of crap that lodge in the junctions where the water mixes.
You could try turning off your water at the meter, drain the system - ie - turn on a garden tap or whatever the lowest point is, then open the offending taps and turn on the meter. Sometimes the hydraulic shock is enough to dislodge the blockage.

As the previous caller said, it could also be a ruptured pipe. But I think you know by now due to the wetness of everything.

Long range diagnosis is always hit and miss however so if you are prepared to fly me over, provide me with food and lodgings and beer I'll be happy to dust off the old Stilsons and have a squiz for ya

Dave70 said:
Long range diagnosis is always hit and miss however so if you are prepared to fly me over, provide me with food and lodgings and beer I'll be happy to dust off the old Stilsons and have a squiz for ya. 

This is probably a cheaper option than our local plumbers!

Latest posts

Back