Plugging Up A Old Element Hole In My Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gava

I do rather like beer.....
Reaction score
Hey,

Currently got two KegKing elements in my kettle thinking of getting a single 4800 but that'll leave me with a 32mm (i think) hole i need to get patched.

What do people do in this situation?

cheers

gav

Hey,

Currently got two KegKing elements in my kettle thinking of getting a single 4800 but that'll leave me with a 32mm (i think) hole i need to get patched.

What do people do in this situation?

cheers

gav

If it was me i'd get whatever stainless end plug fit in there and a stainless backing nut. cut an internal silicon washer from a baking sheet and screw it up.

Not really answering your question, but have you got a 20A outlet to run your 4800W element?

If it was me i'd get whatever stainless end plug fit in there and a stainless backing nut. cut an internal silicon washer from a baking sheet and screw it up.
I'd do this. Easy.

Otherwise you could weld a piece of steel over it to shut it off. Just make sure your weld is good.

yes I do, Its own phase in my brew room 40amp.. 20amp plug and two 10amps

Not really answering your question, but have you got a 20A outlet to run your 4800W element?

1inch fits in the old KegKing weldless element? i thought the holes were 32mm? isn't 1inch 25mm?

I installed a 1inch ball valve. Fits perfectly! :)

looks good but I wont be upgrading that element I have two holes, fill one with new element and close off the other.
Although I could use that and put my whirlpool return there.. although that'd be annoying as hell around the back.

Reducing bush + lock nut and silicon o-ring. Mount your new element in the bush?

:lol:
1inch fits in the old KegKing weldless element? i thought the holes were 32mm? isn't 1inch 25mm?
Well, I had a keg king element, which I bought from Craftbrewer last year. I removed it on the weekend, and installed a bunnings 1 inch brass ball valve in it.

I'll take a picture tonight of the setup, but it goes as follows: Brass tap adaptor 1" male - 3/4" female --> 1 inch (25mm) ball valve --> 1 inch nipple --> 1 inch tap fitting.

on the inside I screwed a brass 3/4" elbow with a bit of copper pipe with a compression fitting in it for the pickup tube.

Whilst this is a bit on the large side, it fitted the hole perfectly, and I wanted to change it from bottom drain to side drain anyway!

looks good but I wont be upgrading that element I have two holes, fill one with new element and close off the other.
Although I could use that and put my whirlpool return there.. although that'd be annoying as hell around the back.

Just get a blanking plug then for the hole without the element, will fit the same way. Geordi should also have lock nuts to fit and possibly o-rings too.

one thing that just occured to me, is the craftbrewer page for these elements says they need "about" a 32mm hole. When I did mine, I used a step drill, and then finished it with the file untill it was a snug fit. I didnt measure the hole, I used the element as the guide to know when I was done. Given the difference is approximately 6mm I'm wondering if this is a just general guide as to hole size.

Can anyone here who used a 32mm holesow, or are confident their hole is actually 32mm confirm if the element is a snug or a loose fit?

Leave the keg king element in there for super quick heating times! If i had the power thats what i'd do. :)

one thing that just occured to me, is the craftbrewer page for these elements says they need "about" a 32mm hole. When I did mine, I used a step drill, and then finished it with the file untill it was a snug fit. I didnt measure the hole, I used the element as the guide to know when I was done. Given the difference is approximately 6mm I'm wondering if this is a just general guide as to hole size.

Can anyone here who used a 32mm holesow, or are confident their hole is actually 32mm confirm if the element is a snug or a loose fit?

I used a 32mm holesaw. I fits through with a little wiggle room (after cleaning up drilling with sandpaper). Without caliper's, I'd guess it was 31 -> 31.5...

Oh yes! I'm doing that! Why didn't I think of that :)
Leave the keg king element in there for super quick heating times! If i had the power thats what i'd do. :)

4800w + 2200w, I assume you are not running a Big W 20L pot B)

The size number is based on the internal diameter of the fitting, hence the outer diameter of the thread and the hole required to fit the fitting in a bulk-head situation is larger.
The hole made by a 32mm hole saw is an exact/perfect fit for the Keg King type elements.

The size number is based on the internal diameter of the fitting, hence the outer diameter of the thread and the hole required to fit the fitting in a bulk-head situation is larger.

The hole made by a 32mm hole saw is an exact/perfect fit for the Keg King type elements.
But of course! I should have known that!

Had exactly the same experience just on the weekend when building my mash tun and drilling holes for fittings

Back