Please Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilly

Reaction score
I am brewing a lager and used low temp yeast. I have kept it at about 20 an i THink this is too hot - it is not bubbling even though it has been in there for like 4 days - do you think I have killed the yeast?

Do you have a clear lid on the fermenter?

If so, can you see if a krausen has formed?

PZ.

20C will not have killed the yeast. Sometimes it just won't bubble. Don't worry about it. Check the gravity if it has come down everthing is probably ok.

You should try and keep a lager at a bit lower temp though.

I would guess all is ok, can you see a ring above the wort level? Where the yeast has formed and fallen back?

Batz

sometimes when you use a lager yeast it takes a while to get going,try tightening your l lid up a bit more ,as batz said check to see if you have a bit of a ring above the wert level.after it kicks in you really should have that temp down to about 10/12 degrees.try putting it in the laundry sink with about 10 inches of waterin it and adda frozen 2 litre bottle of water into the the sink,change this every day with a new one and you should be okay,it will probably take about 14 days to finnish,dont drop the temp though until the yeast has started to work then bring it down
fergi

Hi GILLY
Iam no larger expert as i dont brew it due to no facilities to do so eg a fridge set between 9-14 degrees c . but then saying that if i was to brew larger i would do so in winter in the garage .
one thing i was shown though with all worts before pitching the yeast is to give it a good airating (did you do that) also check your seals on the fermenter some i have seen some fermenters with realy bad collers .
next time your fermenter is empty turn it upside down on a table and see if it rocks or weather the collar is deformed .
if so 2 things to do (no don't file it down) make a lid lever so you can realy tighten down and if that don't work buy a new one.
but check it before you leave the shop .i have seen hundreds if not thousands of the taller type fermenters with deformed collars some worse than others. but one fermenter that seems to be very well made is the stumpy fermenters like that used in the coopers kits .you can get them from coopers shop or a really good camping store .
any way like the other chaps said check the gravity ,seals and give it a taste . you should be fine .
delboy

Back