Please Help With Cascade Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
I recently brewed one of those new cascade kits. I used the lager, 500g of light dry malt and 1kg Dextrose. I had it in primary for a week and secondary for a week. I also have just got a new Keg system and the cascade was the first to go in. I have been gassing it for about two days at 31psi and when i tried it it tasted almost like off fruit. Please help because i dont know if it is the beer or the keg that is the problem.

Thanks Scotty

Beer me up scotty.

If it tastes off it probably is. Since I have never tried a cascade kit I can't say whether they should taste like that.

By off fruit do you mean a cidery taste or more like vinegar?

Those cascade kits come with lager yeast don't they? What temp did you ferment it at?

Gday fellars, yes it is a lager yeast. As a kit brewer I might be able to give my 2 cents worth on cascade kits. Only made 1 :: , 1 can Cascade lager ,1 1/2 kg l.m.e ,Made and racked in july so no temp problems, bottled 1/8/04 and was preety ordanary , only drank a few stubbies and is now, after 9 weeks bottle age it is ok, but will not touch cascade kits again. If its any help Scotty I am getting good results with Heritage lager , 1.25kg of Muntons d.m.e , saflager yeast, ferm at around 16-18 deg,dry hop with cascade pellets, 1 week primary, rack,1week secondary[dry hop], bottle and leave for 8 weeks. Been brewing kits for 2 years and this is giving me best lager results. Now doing ales with safale and at around 18- 22 deg. Hopes this helps. :chug:

I brewed a extract based beer, (the extract was old) and it turned out like cider YUCK, i brewed at 9deg with a lager yeast so i put mine down to crap extract. I get a hint of this with a lot of my kit based beers (coopers) however i found that morgans were good even the lighest kits like the saaz pils yum!

i have also heard the cascade kits are a bit average.... or bellow

I did a casacade lager kit, adn it was crap. I used the kit plus 1.5kg of coopers LME, with saflager, and fermented at 12-13 degreees. Its got a strange aroma, and a horrid aftertaste.

The rest of the batch are now at the back of the cupboard, and I'll pull them out again in 3 months or so.

Back