Please Help A Newby

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothale

Reaction score
:( I am pretty new to home brewing beer. I am on my second batch and for some reason, there is no activity from the air lock, no fermenting... The beer is Black Rock export pilsner. It has been in now for 24 hrs it is also heated the temp is 24C
How long before it starts. What have I done wrong???
Hoping someone has some advice..... Paul

Smooth,
Airlock activity isn't the best indicator of fermentation (you may not have a good seal on your lid). A better indication is bubbles or froth on top of the beer. Do you have that?

smoothale

You will also get a better beer if you drop the temperature a bit. 20 to 21 will be a slower fermenting beer, but will have less fusel alcohols (which contribute to nasty headaches).

Did you use a hydrometer to measure the SG of the beer?

Also, have a look at the online bible - http://www.howtobrew.com

Cheers
Pedro

Thank you for your reply's. There is no froth, but a dark brown ring of scum. The lid is a good seal. there is also alot of droplets of liquid on the inside of the lid. Do you think that it needs more yeast???

smoothale said:
Thank you for your reply's. There is no froth, but a dark brown ring of scum. The lid is a good seal. there is also alot of droplets of liquid on the inside of the lid. Do you think that it needs more yeast???
[post="73633"][/post]​

As Gulf Brewery asked, "Do you have a hydrometer" to check the gravity?

1.010 if it is finished. Anything above that and it is still fermenting.
Could take upto a week to get to 1.010. Just relax and plan your next beer.
Partial mash is a lot of fun
cheers
Darren

smoothale said:
[post="73633"][/post]​

Smoothale Your beer is fermenting,as you said there is a dark brown ring of scum & a lot of droplets of liquid on the inside of the lid. These are good signs of fermentation. I would not pitch any more yeast. Sounds like you have a leak even though your lid is on tight.

Thanks Darren,
What is a partial mash ??? Remember, I am new to home brewing!

I sometimes find that if ithe lid is on too tight it can cause the Oring to buckle slightly causing a leek...Like Sab says if you have the ring it should be fermenting...

smoothale said:
Thanks Darren,
What is a partial mash ??? Remember, I am new to home brewing!
[post="73643"][/post]​

smooth

google is your friend

Have a read in this section of the site

There is a wealth of information that will take you from your beginning brews to advanced brewing.

If something is unclear, don't start a new thread, click on the add reply button and someone will answer your question.

:D :D Hey Guys... It started bubbling through the airlock this morning..
You see! I was worried for nothing, but you never know.. Thank you to all who gave me valuable advice. I will be regularly visiting this forum. You guys have been through all these things and I appreciate you passing your knowledge on to me and others on this site.
Keep up the good work and :beer: cheers....... Paul

Back