Please Explain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
First of all, no Pauline Hanson jokes! :p

Although I have been talking about my huge workload and lack of brewing I have been able to do a couple of brews aswell as purchase a couple of Craftbrewers finest FWK's.

I am curious as to why the krausen on the beers I have brewed myself have a violent krausen during frement while the FWK's have seemed to be..... well, controlled.

O.G.'s, F.G.'s and Ferment temps have been to plan.

Yeast is a split pack of WY1056. Split, built up, split in 3 and built up.

Would love to hear an answer..... :)

Cheers,

_wallace_

All the normal stuff I guess

Water chemistry, esp calcium
Oxygen levels in the wort
Brewing temp/step mash, generally low temp mean easier to ferment
Different malts

Probably 100 more, but I've got an early start...

QldKev

The slower cooling has further denatures the longer chain proteins?

Additional cane sugar (its cheaper) in FWK?

just suggestions

tnd

We are probably on the same water etc. Wallace but I've had exactly the opposite. I use rehydrated dry yeast and I get big krausen on the FWk and more controlled with my own brews.

Ross ... there are questions here as to the additions of sugar to your brews .. is it true ??

Were the questions about whether that would have a serious affect, or was darren just peddling out his personal vendetta again?

Ross ... there are questions here as to the additions of sugar to your brews .. is it true ??

I would assume some would have sugar as part of the recipe because it would be required to meet the beer it was related eg; aussie lager type recipes.

Could be heaps of things or a single thing.

Do you no chill your brews and if you do, do you pour from the cube to fermenter as you would from a FWK?

Cheers

In answer to questions raised.

Sugar, honey, adjuncts etc are used in our fwk's when they are needed to perfect the target beer style. We NEVER use sugar as a malt substitue for cost reasons (though I could name some that do).

We also do not use foam control products in our FWK's.

+++

It seems that some people experience more krausen & some less, so probably more down to individuals brewing process than anything else.

Cheers Ross

Got to say it will have to do with water and malt bill as well as brewing method.

Brewing is a complex art as well as science. Even some of the science is not fully understood yet.

Back