Please Explain The Bock Or Dopplebock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Dumb question time but as i tell my 5 year old "if u don't ask questions, u will never find out"
So what is a BOCK or DOPPLEBOCK, and is there a commercial one i can try.
From what i have heard it sounds right up my ally as i dont like fizzy, thin lagers much anymore.

from BJCP.

Doc

Bock
Overall Impression: A relatively pale, strong, malty lager beer. Designed to walk a fine line between blandness and too much color. Hop character is generally more apparent than in other bocks.
History: Originated in the Northern German city of Einbeck, which was a brewing center and popular exporter in the days of the Hanseatic League (14th to 17th century). Recreated in Munich starting in the 17th century. The name bock is based on a corruption of the name Einbeck in the Bavarian dialect, and was thus only used after the beer came to Munich. Bock also means billy-goat in German, and is often used in logos and advertisements.
Commercial Examples: Aass Bock, Einbecker Ur-Bock Dunkel, Great Lakes Rockerfeller Bock.

Doppelbock
Overall Impression: A very strong and rich lager. A bigger version of either a traditional bock or a helles bock.
History: A Bavarian specialty first brewed in Munich by the monks of St. Francis of Paula. Historical versions were less well attenuated than modern interpretations, with consequently higher sweetness and lower alcohol levels (and hence was considered liquid bread by the monks). The term doppel (double) bock was coined by Munich consumers. Many dopplebocks have names ending in -ator either as a tribute to the prototypical Salvator or take advantage of the beers popularity .
Commercial Examples: Paulaner Salvator, Ayinger Celebrator, Spaten Optimator, Tucher Bajuvator, Augustiner Maximator, EKU 28, Eggenberg Urbock 23, Samichlaus, Bells Consecrator, Moretti La Rossa, Weihenstephaner Korbinian, Weltenburger Kloster Asam-Bock.

use Pilsner, light Munich & dark Munich malts
no specialty malts

long boil gives the color and flavor

hops to just balance the malt

long lager (gave mine 5 months lagering)

Jovial Monk

It sounds a little similar to an Oktoberfest?

Latest posts

Back