Plastic Rainwater Tanks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren

Beer Dog
Reaction score
Howdy,
I am currently looking into purchasing a rainwater tank. I like the look and size of the new "plastic" tanks. One apparent problem with these tanks is a plastic taste in the water.
Anyone have an idea as how to scrub the plastic flavours?
cheers Darren

i would try boiling the water before using inthe mash to sure as i got a galv tank

I don't think good plastic rainwater tanks taste plastic

I agree with Batz

I had a bushmans 500 gallon Rain water tank in Canberra - no problems.

Brewed with the water straight out of the tank....

My parents installed a plastic rainwater tank. It was installed in summer so they filled it with hose water let it sit for a month and then emptied over a month or so on the garden. This initial rinse got rid of the plastic tase well.

Asher for now

Well if i didn't rent and had my own place. I would get as many of these as possible.
The way they are starting to charge for water I reckon these are going to get very popular in the coming years.

cheers

I got a fibreglass one and it is fine, but i would rather brew with tap water anyway. In Newcastle our tap water is great, so why bother risking a bad brew with tank water?

If you have a "taste" in the water from your tank, most of the time that taste can be removed using an activated carbon filter. It will slow the flow from the tank but the water will be wonderful. If that doesn't work..... check the gutters.

Steve

Latest posts

Back